Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Considering change (Ugh)

Thread: Considering change (Ugh)

Considering change (Ugh)

So I've almost had it with Gentoo. revdep-rebuild is driving me nuts, I updated and broke hal and dbus, and it's taking forever to fix them (Although, I am getting lazier..)

Now, while other distrobutions are usually more stable, Gentoo has a redeeming feature that keeps me stuck. If I want to watch any kind of media, Gentoo is my choice. The software repository seems to be the best. I really don't want to take the time to backup, and install another distro and not be able to watch movies, or sync with my Zaurus, so I will need a distro with either a superb software respository (without the radical "It's not under the GPL, so we won't offer it to our users" attitude), or it does everything I want it to do.

I really don't like change, so I may just stick it out with Gentoo, but I'd like to have a plan thought out. I've been looking at distrowatch, and a huge 7-CD, everything configured with a gui tool kind of bundle isn't really interesting to me.. Unless of course it comes bundled with vmware, or codeweavers stuff...

So, do any of you guys have suggestions?

I have used Ubuntu, I have recommended Ubuntu, but the time I have spent trying to get flash to work, or getting some formats of media to play is too much, and having a thousand different repositories to get what I want is very unattractive (It's kind of like the state of software packages for the Zaurus), so I have to pass up Ubuntu.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just window shopping.
    Registered Linux User #301307 (counter.li.org)
    BOFH Excuse #639:
    NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

fedora has been kind to me.
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Fedora.

***FILLER***
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

If you don't care about keeping it Free (GPL) and want lots of multimedia capability out of the box, you might like Linspire. It ships with all kinds of closed source stuff like MP3 and DVD support built in.

Mepis is supposed to be very good with multimedia also(video codecs, audio codecs, DVD etc...). In case you wanted an alternative to Linspire.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Both Mepis and Linspire look tempting, but I've never had much luck with Linspire , so I'm gonna test Mepis on some machines at school.
    Registered Linux User #301307 (counter.li.org)
    BOFH Excuse #639:
    NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

Another nice source based distro is www.sourcemage.org. Once I got it setup, it did pretty much eveything I needed.

Also take a look at www.zenwalk.org, its a pretty nice distro.
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"