Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

NFS/NIS issues

Thread: NFS/NIS issues

NFS/NIS issues

Hello, folks. Been reading the tutorials on this site for quiet sometime now, but now I finally have to join the forums.

Here is my situation.

I am trying to set up a Linux network. My server is FC2 with two NIC's. One I use for external access (just dumb port forwarding), the other is for internal services. My client is FC3 with SELinux disabled (I was getting too many headaches with it enabled). Both machines have their firewalls turned off, as well.

I am trying my hand at NFS and NIS based on the official HOWTO's and this fine web site (and a couple of days now on Google), but I am just not getting the job done.

I have ironed out all wrinkles but for client testing with
    [root@client]#getent passwd nisuser

I get nothing back, just a prompt. Is this a show stopper? I am wicked new to NFS/NIS, but I think I understand what is going on.

The next wrinkle I run into is when I am trying to ssh into the client from the server, I get permission denied messages and this appears in the logs:

sshd(pam_unix)[5069]: check pass; user unknown
    sshd(pam_unix)[5069]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=10.25.68.1
    sshd(pam_unix)[5150]: check pass; user unknown
    sshd(pam_unix)[5150]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=10.25.68.1

This IP address is my "external" NIC on the server, but that shouldn't really matter, right?
    I think what is missing here is the pam_nis module, but I am so new to this environment that I am not sure and figured I should ask some folks who might know better.

I know that I had this at least somewhat working last night, as when I removed my "local" account from the client, the server hard drive went nuts and deleted almost my entire home directory! TG for backups!

So, I think I am close, but I am missing some sort of logic or tool.

Here is the log output for when I want to log in on the actual machine:

gdm-binary[3207]: Couldn't authenticate user
    gdm(pam_unix)[3207]: check pass; user unknown
    gdm(pam_unix)[3207]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=
    gdm(pam_unix)[3207]: check pass; user unknown
    gdm(pam_unix)[3207]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=

So, pretty obviously, the system is looking for a local account and not checking NIS, even tho it is binding to the NIS server/domain.

PLEASE!! Can anyone help on this? Let me know what other file info you need. I am fairly certain that I have every thing set up properly (based on this site).

I have been having the same issue. Have you found a solution yet.

No, but I think I have a better understanding of it all now. The last HOWTO I read thru was chapter 13 from the Network Administrator Handbook. It lists a couple of things that the NIS HOWTO does not. I have to completely rebuild my client first, as I can't even log in to it anymore! Fun!

Good luck and let me know how you make out. This is my current "big" project and the future of my Home LAN depends on getting this process down!.