Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C/C++

Re: C/C++

the issue is not really about which programming language is "easier to use" or which programming language is "more portable" or etc...

as for me, it all boils down to one question: "what type of program/system am i making?" each programming language has its own strong/weak points. it's basically up to the developer to determine the suitable programming language to use.

Quote Originally Posted by witik
    the issue is not really about which programming language is "easier to use" or which programming language is "more portable" or etc...

as for me, it all boils down to one question: "what type of program/system am i making?" each programming language has its own strong/weak points. it's basically up to the developer to determine the suitable programming language to use.
    yup it's a good point but if we compare C to C++ I prefer C++ coz you can go as far as oop which C i guess couldn't. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a hardcore programmer. wahahahah.

Quote Originally Posted by blank
    yup it's a good point but if we compare C to C++ I prefer C++ coz you can go as far as oop which C i guess couldn't. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a hardcore programmer. wahahahah.
    you can actually code/implement your app in C in an OO way..

kring

c++ is better than C..as they c is an old one...and take note c++ is easier than java...

Quote Originally Posted by kring
    c++ is better than C..as they c is an old one...and take note c++ is easier than java...
    That really depends on who you ask though.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

what book should I read first in order to easily understand php? I have a minimal background in C way back my college days..also I haven't tried linux yet ever..

@Oakboy: WROX would do fine but they're pretty expensive here (Cebu) and they're on order basis. there are other alternatives and they're on paperbacks :-) try looking for one in your local bookstore... if you happen to live in Cebu, try Cagnaan Bookstore (at the back of St. Theresa's College). they sell books cheaper than National Book Store hehe

Each language has it's strength's and weaknesses. C is a procedural programming language while C++ is an object oriented programming langauge. C++ is an extension to C, which means everything you can do in C you can do in C++ exactly the same way. In other words you can still do procedural programming in C++.

When introducing object oriented programming to a language you're creating overhead with the handling of objects, and their methods. So C code should generally always run faster then C++ code assuming the C++ code is written with object orientation in mind. This is probably the reason many operating systems are written using C. An operating system must be fast.

As for Java it is a great programming language that makes a lot of things immensely easy for the programmer. For example, if you can think of something you want to do someone has probably already done this, and it's sitting in the library waiting for you to use. I absolutely love this about Java.

I do suggest you learn the mainstream languages however. If you decide I'll learn Pascal today, then you're asking for failure, as you probably won't find anyone looking for your skills.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

hello,
    like hombre said embedded should use C. And as far as i am concerned so should all OS's. And apps. for that matter. I took a C++ class and found it to be the ugliest most cumbersome language ever. If you are very skilled at writing in C++ you can get it to the point where it uses perhaps 1.25 times the amount of memory a C program uses.
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Actually I think C++ is a pretty language compared to most, although I'm partial to it since it's what I learned first. I do however like Java a lot, but again it's designed to look like C++.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny