Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dual boot Windows and Linux using NTLDR (Windows Bootloader)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot Windows and Linux using NTLDR (Windows Bootloader)

Associate

1) install Lilo on your Superblock
    2) configure Lilo
    3) run lilo to update the bootsector based on your config
    4) execute "dd if=<linux root partition (ex: /dev/hda2)> of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1"
    5) copy bootsect.lnx to your winxp / win2k boot drive (ex: C:\bootsect.lnx) (you may need a floppy disk to transfer the file)
    6) edit boot.ini and add the line C:\bootsect.lnx="Slackware Linux"
    7) Reboot
    ---
    to remove Linux if you are using the above, simply delete the line you added and delete Linux partitions.

I'm going to try this out bai. I've never actually had NTLDR booting multiple operating systems. I found lilo much easier.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

hehehe likewise never tried it... one thing i like about lilo and grub is GRAPHICAL! :P .. can it be also possible sa winxp?
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Associate

Quote Originally Posted by BadDudes
    hehehe likewise never tried it... one thing i like about lilo and grub is GRAPHICAL! :P .. can it be also possible sa winxp?
    no, it cannot be graphical... that's why I like it better...

I'm surprised MS didn't give it the ability to be "pretty". heh.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

i assume, this applies to situation that you have both Linux and Windows on one HDD. but personally, i never put myself and my OSs in one HDD. reasons? first, i dont like my HDD to be partitioned. why? its because of less disk space. second, i rather buy a 2nd HDD to install either Linux or Windows. and third, i use a boot manager (non-graphical or graphical).

anyways, i experienced hassles and difficulties in such cases as this. maybe i was just a n00b at that time.

btw, BeoR, great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by vern
    I'm surprised MS didn't give it the ability to be "pretty". heh.
    exactly its very odd!!! :lol: :lol: wa pa nila nabayran ang developer cguro heheheh
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Associate

Quote Originally Posted by sachem
    i assume, this applies to situation that you have both Linux and Windows on one HDD. but personally, i never put myself and my OSs in one HDD. reasons? first, i dont like my HDD to be partitioned. why? its because of less disk space. second, i rather buy a 2nd HDD to install either Linux or Windows. and third, i use a boot manager (non-graphical or graphical).

anyways, i experienced hassles and difficulties in such cases as this. maybe i was just a n00b at that time.

btw, BeoR, great tips!
    I think this works whether they are physically on the same HDD or not coz the bootsector points to its physical location... and the purpose of this is to avoind having to go thru the hassles involved in setting up a 3rd party boot manager. since Windows is more or less used by almost everyone, using its own bootloader makes a lot of sense and lessens confusion specially if one needs to re-install his / her windows system. this also makes removing other OS's much easier.

with regards to partitioning, personally I prefer dedicating one harddisk to my OS's while the rest takes care of my apps / data. this way, the chance that I avoid messing up my data is higher since more often than not, it is the OS drive that gets lots of problems.

alirght gonna give this thing a go.

Master BeoR:
    you did my installation (thnx btw) is 1.2.3. done already? Also i think you mentioned something about 4 done also..

should i just proceed to 5?

Associate

rik do #4 again to be sure