Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I Love Linux 3D
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Love Linux 3D

I Love Linux 3D

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been trying to get 3D support for Linux for years. I ended up buying a Radeon 9800Pro, but I decided to return it to get an Nvidia FX 5200 ULTRA and use the rest of the money from the return on other pc components. Wow! I downloaded and installed the latest drivers off the net, and within 3 minutes, I was playing some awesome hardware accellerated games! The graphics on RACER is great, and games like GL-117 are amazing! What can I say, I deleted the windows partition for my gaming, and now I have the motto, "If it don't work on Linux, then it ain't worth working"!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Very cool. I remember a couple of folks over at JL/LNO a few years ago who tried to get this working for months at a time... And then ended up leaving Linux all together, out of frustration.
    Steve

Yeah, I ended doing that a couple times too, but I would always come back. There is something about Linux that I just can't do without, I don't know what it is though...
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

Oops, speaking about frustration, I have ditched SUSE Linux 9.1 Pro for SUSE Linux 8.2 Pro. There were a couple of reasons, but mostly because of the fact that the 2.6.4 kernel makes a mess of sound if you are using a AC97 audio chip. The problem has to rectified by downloading the newest Kernel, but when you have Dial-Up and a four hour session limit, it is impossible to download 68mb. The solution, 8.2.
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

I was wondering about Nvidia FX 5200 ULTRA
    This is the card right?
    XFX nVidia GeForce FX 5200 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card
    $84.99
    I have been look at this card but Videocards on linux scare me so i have held out untill i find just the right one.

If it don't work on Linux, then it ain't worth working"!
    Im going to make Bumper Stickers lol
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Mentor
    Make sure you get the ULTRA 'cause the non-ULTRA 5200 ain't that great.

yeah Non-Ultra = GeForce4MX 440 w/256MB :?

I give up i don't know shit about video cards just twoooooooooooooooooooooooo dam many.
    Can any one suggest any tuts on chooseing video cards for linux?
    Bye the way i buy most of my stuff from tiger direct.
    What i really wan't is a

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
    1.25GHz frontside bus/processor
    512K L2 cache/processor
    1 GB DDR400 SDRAM
    Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
    160GB Serial ATA
    8x SuperDrive
    Three PCI-X Slots
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    128MB DDR video memory
    56K internal modem

"Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5" Yikes! PowerPC machine! I tried that for a little while about a year ago. I ended up selling that machine and just sticking with a good on Intel-type machine. PPC Linux just freaks me out.

As for Linux, stick with nVidia cards, IMHO. They have the unified driver architecture so you only ever have to download one driver. You don't have to worry about getting the correct driver for the type of card you have. Just DL the newest Detonator Driver one and away you go.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Testify, brother! I'm running an ATI now (boring story...basically, a big-time hardware swap happened in my life about a month ago and I have to run this stupid PCI radeon...no AGP bus on the motherboard [yikes]) and there's a noticeable blurriness and lack of snappy response vs. my old trusty GeForce 2 I had been running for years. The Nvidia drivers _always_ work.