Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slackware Shell

Slackware Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad
    hi vern, thanks for adding me, but i dont know where to login. also, should i need a Linux distro inorder to login or is it ok using Win2k? coz im using my office PC. hehe sorry 4 all this questions...
    you can use putty on your windows machine to log-in

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Slackware Shell

Hi vern, i downloaded putty and tried it, but when i enter my password, it says Access Denied. I tried this passwords: password, gporais...
    still cannot access. But my office mate suggested maybe its because of our firewall in our office network... hehe im not very familiar with this, is it possible something like bypassing through the firewall? hehe sorry 4 this stupid qstn.... anyway, really thank you 4 giving me this opportunity.... God speed!

Slackware Shell

Galahad: I saw your failed logins. You have to make sure you are typing your password correctly. I used the password you gave me through PM. Your username is all in small letters as well as your password. Linux is case sensitive meaning "Galahad" is not the same as "galahad".

No it's not your firewall.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Slackware Shell

hi vern, hehehe i already tried it and ive successfully logged in... really thanks, this is what ive been searching from the past, something like this, i now can learn n explore all linux/unix commands without installing a distro... but still im planning to install one...

Anyway, my experience in Linux are only installing it to my PC and other terminals, ive tried dual-boot(with Win 98 or Win XP Pro) and standalone.
    My distros are Caldera Open, Mandrake, RedHat, Slackware, and now Knoppix (arranged from past to present). I also tried FreeBSD but installation was not successfull... All with this ive only checked the GUI and tried the desktop... but what i really want is to use my programming skills, also to really know whats the power of Linux/Unix machines... so, my plan is first to master all Linux console cmds with the help of your server, really2x thanks...

hehe sry for this long msg, so, thanks agn n God bless!!!

Slackware Shell

@ galahad .... congrats on your first login! :P

and here is the other solution on your linux learning without dual boot and live cds.. read the link below, but you still need to install it :P

http://linux.ribbed.us/viewtopic.php?t=51

Slackware Shell

Hi BadDudes, thanks for the link, i forgot to mention that ive also tried this Cygwin ones and i thought it was not a good way to learn... but i was planning to install it back, thanks for reminding me abt this...

By the way, is it just me or is it for all users: when i use my account on verns server, its response is slow(not very slow, just some delays), like when typing some commands, or using vi... i think its bcoz of the distance... anyway, thnx agn to all of u for all ur support, i hope ill bcome lyk u all...

God bless!

Associate

Slackware Shell

Excuse me, but maybe you should use the private messaging feature of the forum for exchanging sensitive data like logins/passwords?
    Just my two cents.
    *expects to be called paranoid*

Slackware Shell

hi jdun, yeah, i got ur point, really sry, will not happen agn, its just that i was in a hurry and excited to login... anyway, i was planning to change my password afterwards... but i believe all users here can be trusted ... but just for the sake of good linux user practice, ill stay alert... thanks agn!

Slackware Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Galahad
    By the way, is it just me or is it for all users: when i use my account on verns server, its response is slow(not very slow, just some delays), like when typing some commands, or using vi... i think its bcoz of the distance...
    Probably its more on your connection speeed... especially if your on dial-up!

Slackware Shell

ah, ok... but i think we use DSL here in the office... not so sure... also we have many issues about our internet, we are planning to upgrade to a faster connection, i think faster than T3? anyway, still just a plan... so, thanks for the tip, also thanks about remndng me Cygwin... but ill just stick with the verns Slackware coz its cool to be inside a linux... thanks n God bless!