Thread: Linux over Virtual Machines

Associate

Linux over Virtual Machines

Hi, anyone tried installing linux over a virtual machine like VMware? Tried it but I can't find a way how to network the host and guest OS. Crap* Hehehe..

I've played around FC2 over Virtual PC. It did run, but didn't get into it very much. I might play with it some other time.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

I didnt encounter any network problems with VMware. I think its just a matter of configuring your guest OS in order for you to connect ,actually you have 3 choices of network types in VMware, 1 is sharing your actual device with the guest OS using Nat i think :P 2nd is something lke Guest and Host Os only network thing? anywayz... when ill get back home ill try to check it on how to configure your network in order to work....
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Associate

Quote Originally Posted by BadDudes
    I didnt encounter any network problems with VMware. I think its just a matter of configuring your guest OS in order for you to connect ,actually you have 3 choices of network types in VMware, 1 is sharing your actual device with the guest OS using Nat i think :P 2nd is something lke Guest and Host Os only network thing? anywayz... when ill get back home ill try to check it on how to configure your network in order to work....
    kewl.. thanks im looking forward on this.. thanks for the help dude..

hmmm... BeoR told me about this.

but hey, does running Linux on Windows box (using VMWare) uses too much resources? does it make my system hung up?

and in installing Linux, do i need a separate partition or a separate HDD? ive got a less than 8GB disk space left :-(

im planning to install Libranet Linux using VMWare but im making certainties first.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem
    does running Linux on Windows box (using VMWare) uses too much resources?
    not much but to be safe just dont execute some mem-hungry apps especially VM is also running..

and in installing Linux, do i need a separate partition or a separate HDD? ive got a less than 8GB disk space left :-(
    hmmm dont get it ... installing linux on VM or as a separate OS?
    if its on vm then nope you can use your remaining 8gb disk ... but are you planning to install more than 8gigs?

im planning to install Libranet Linux using VMWare but im making certainties first.
    go ahead Bar ... dont stop! :P
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Associate

hmmm... BeoR told me about this.

but hey, does running Linux on Windows box (using VMWare) uses too much resources? does it make my system hung up?
    I have been using VM to handle other nix flavours... somewhat a testing ground for new distros and releases.. and I did not experience any system hung up.. so don't you worry.. resources wont be a problem as long as your not using X on the same time executing memory hungry programs on your M$.

If you will be using VM... The program itself will take care of that issue so no need for a separate disk unless you specify VM to make use of a physical HDD... 8G would be fine... just pick the apps you need to save some space..

As what Sir BadDudes was saying... go ahead... give it a try.. may the force of linux be with you.. Good Luck..