Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation

Installation

Can i install linux while I am using windows? just as i install winxp while running win98? or should i unzip the 4 .iso compressed files to the 4 CDs and reboot my pc and boot it to CD first then start installing?

Installation

Good day!

About ur 3rd question, you must not unzip the .iso file. It won't work if you burnt the iso just like a regular file, so start your favourite CD-writing software and find "Burn image" or "Burn CD iso image" option. It could be hidden somewhere because people usually don't need to use this option.

Sometimes you will need to change the file-type filter to *.* else you won't be able to see your .iso. The resulting CD will be bootable, you don't need to specify that feature separately.
    Don't unpack or unzip the archive, burn the ISO as described above else you will lose the bootability.

About ur 1rst and 2nd question, it is possible. But it's not really a complete Linux Distro. It is just a Linux-like environment for Windows. Most newbie use this way. Cygwin is the name what I referring to. You can download and install it at http://www.cygwin.com. For more info about "Cywin": http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/

If you really want to use a complete Linux OS, then you must use ur 3rd question.

--------------------------------------------
    For God be the Glory!

Installation

Zipslack

http://www.slackware.com/zipslack

it wont work on ntfs systems.
    To err is human, to forget your password is simply stupid.

Associate

Installation

You need to install Linux on its own partition. In fact, you'll need at least two partitions for a workstation : the swap and the root partition. The Linux kernel supports NTFS file system, but mounting an NTFS read-write is not recommended.

Installation

ZipSlack is a special edition of Slackware Linux that can be installed onto any FAT (or FAT32) filesystem with about 100 MB of free space. It uses the UMSDOS filesystem and contains most of the programs you will need. This means that you do not need to repartition your hard disk if you already have DOS or Windows installed. ZipSlack installs into a directory on your DOS filesystem. It can also be installed to and booted from a Zip disk.

This distribution is ideal for people who don't have a lot of hard disk space, do not have a fast Internet connection to download the entire distribution, or who want a Linux distribution they can carry around on a Zip disk.

Installation

ZipSlack works pretty well if you can't be bothered to get a separate partition for Linux. However, it only works on FAT partitions and the last time I used it, you can't have a Linux desktop (KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc).
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Installation

hhmmm.... i have 2 HDs here.. C: and D: my WinXp Pro is in C: im planning to install my Slackware in D: any advice? words? comments? suggestions?

Installation

Have fun using Slackware :lol:

Installation

Quote Originally Posted by SuBSe7eN
    hhmmm.... i have 2 HDs here.. C: and D: my WinXp Pro is in C: im planning to install my Slackware in D: any advice? words? comments? suggestions?
    Sounds like a good start. Just get it up and running and come back to us with your problems.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Associate

Installation

Quote Originally Posted by SuBSe7eN
    Its a good start.. Gudluck.

If you don't want to mess anything on your system, its a wise idea also to make use of on-boot linux like kenopix and etc.. you can also try vmware workstation that's if you can afford to get one.