Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Paritition Sizes

Thread: Paritition Sizes

Paritition Sizes

im particular with how many bytes are you going to partition with the different directories of linux. that is, the tree (i.e. /home, /bin, /opt and others).

and most, especially, the /swap. i know /swap is equivalent to 2 * RAM (physical memory). but i usually bend the idea about the size of it. for example, i have a 25MB of RAM and /swap should be, ideally, 512MB. but thinking of an upgrade in the time future, i probably would let this be around 1GB :-)

Paritition Sizes

There are lots of things to also take into account like ... what is the purpose of the box? What is acceptable performance? ... etc.

On my FC2 desktop, I have 500MB of Swap. That should be all I need for the tasks that I do. I have a couple of Linux servers that have 500MB and 800MB of swap respectively although they never actually use more than 5% of that. / for the box that I have people access is 20 gigs and /home is roughtly 190 gigs. All my slackware packages are on /slackware and I am about to get another 200 gig HD and mount that as /share.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Paritition Sizes

on my 40gb desktop right now im using

/swap = 512mb
    /boot = 100mb
    /u01 = 10gb (my database! and other DB tools)
    / = 10gb

the rest is Fat32 for my M$win !

:wink:
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Associate

Paritition Sizes

OMG, someone said FAT32 !
    What OS you use?
    Windows 98 ?

Paritition Sizes

Yeah, I just noticed, why haven't you upgraded to an NT OS yet?
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

Paritition Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Jdun
    OMG, someone said FAT32 !
    What OS you use?
    Windows 98 ?
    yup definetly heheh :P... our tools being used in our development and users support is still for win9x ... no budget for upgrade yet :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Associate

Re: Paritition Sizes

back then, i'm very particular to the partition sizes since ive only known linux via books now, its only swap and / for me. if need arises, i'll just plug-in another hd and soft link it to the system.

@hombre: i was like that, too. now, im happy with the automated partition done during the installation.

you can go for automatic partitioning and just review it before proceeding with the installation process.