Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenFree chefs representing!

Nice I love the recipe thread

Garlic Apple and Tomato Fish:

This has the most interesting flavour. The result is garlic fish covered in an apply tomato and squash stew. Really nice over wild rice.

1 steelhead trout fillet
    50 mL (around 1/4 cup) butter or margarine
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 a zuchinni, finely chopped
    about the same amount (half a zuchinni's worth) of diced squash (Optional)
    2-3 large tomatoes, pureed
    1 apple, diced
    1 large slice of lemon
    some salt and pepper

Cover a baking pan with tin foil and put the trout on top. Smear the trout with butter, and sprinkle garlic overtop of the butter. Evenly distribute the chopped zuchinni and apple bits overtop of of the garlic and butter. Optionally add diced squash to the mix. Add salt and pepper to taste to tomatoes, and distribute overtop of everything. Finally, squeeze the lemon juice over all of it. Cover the top with another layer of foil.

Bake in oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 - 30 mins, until fish is cooked.
    Last edited by Tyr_7BE; 02-20-2006 at 02:19 AM.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    this is cooking not rocket science.
    For me, it's rocket science. Though most of the time I cook after having had too much to drink. Possible reason why many of my tries bomb.

I just finished making a yummy thick chicken soup. Excellent for the winter days with no time. No real recipe, but this is what I did.

I barely covered a large soup pot with olive oil and got it really hot. Added a couple teeth of garlic (growl) and once that got sizzling, I added some sliced up boneless chicken thighs.

When that was about 1/2 way cooked, I added about eight small red potatoes (quartered) and let that sizzle too. Everything garlicy.

Lightly added italian seasoning and bay leaves. Some sesame seed oil and teriyaki sauce. (not to overpower it, just to add a little flavor)

Then I looked in my cupboard and found a can of Progresso chicken soup. Dumped that in. I also found a box of that new Campbell's Select "Gold Label" squash soup that I wanted to try out. Dumped that in too. (more like squirted, the juice box style container doesn't give you a choice).

Added a couple spoons of pesto I found in the fridge. (You can never have too much garlic)

Turned down the heat. Let it simmer at a very low bubble for about an hour. Watch TV and stir during the commercials. Burns easily, really low heat. Black pepper.

Serves about 4. So for me, that's 4 dinners.

Hmmm, the ingredients would be

8 small red potatoes
    1 pack of boneless chicken thighs
    black pepper to taste
    2 small bay leaves
    6 sticks of garlic
    1 table spoon of pesto
    a couple shakes of italian Seasoning
    a dribble of teriyaki sauce
    a dribble of sesame seed oil
    1 can fancy chicken soup
    1 box of Campbell's fancy squash soup (or someone else's)

These sites are interesting http://geekfood.wordpress.com/ http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr_7BE
    I'm so doing this. Thanks a lot lovey!
    A little trick is letting the dough rest for an hour or so, dabb it with water and cover it with a towel and it will be very easy to work with.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

That cooking for enfineers is ok. Not sure I agree with their layout of recipes. The traditional way is exactly that for a reason. Geek food I shall look at

When I was in the states to visit my then girlfriend she took me to a place called The Bonefish Grill (which I'm later told is a chain) - I had a dish called Bang bang shrimp which was completely awesome so in the effort of approximating the dish:

For the sauce mix up:
    1 Cup mayo (8oz) (use real mayo none of that non fat crap)
    3 Tbs Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
    1 Tbs Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
    1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Clean & de-vein 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp. Soak in buttermilk (regular milk will do) for 30-45 minutes (put in fridge).

Dredge shrimp in seasoned flour (cayenne, garlic, and onion -powder to taste) and deep fry for 2 minutes in peanut oil. (Oil must be hot before starting the frying or the shrimp will go mushing instead of nicely light brown and delicious)

Remove the shrimp and drain on paper towels. Add to above sauce mix while still warm and toss to coat.

Serve on a bed of cold shredded iceberg lettuce and garnish with chopped scallions/green onions.

Best damn shrimp dish I ever had and it's so easy even Outlaw can't mess it up.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

There's 2 Bonefish Grills in my area. I'm definately checking it out. Then I'll try my hand at the shimp and see

I just visited a Bonefish near Dulles/Ashburn VA (I'm out of town for work). The bang bang shrimp is a hit with my colleague and me. Now I try my hand at making it.

Kind Mastermind
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    I'm actually trying to live by my ex' vegitarian lifestyle since it's much better for me, at least that's what experience tells me - but I do have a few nice meat dishes up my sleeve for some later date.

For the metric impaired google does conversions btw. if unable to use google, do what I do and guesstimate it.. this is cooking not rocket science.

Like this or this?
    Last edited by stryder144; 03-07-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Ok, I guess I'll add one of mine while I'm thinking about it.

KK's Italian Pizza

What you need:

Flour Tortillas
    Mozzarella Cheese
    Tomatoes
    Frozen Spinach
    Minced Garlic
    Crushed Red Pepper
    Vegetable Oil

First thaw your spinach, dice your tomatoes, and shred your cheese. Take a tortilla, and place it on a baking tray. Next, take some of your spinach, and spread it lightly over the tortilla, allowing some of the tortilla to show, but still a good amount covering it. Next, take some vegetable oil, and spread it around the edge of the tortilla. Next, take another tortilla, and place it on top of the other tortilla, pressing the edges down where the oil was applied. Next, put a layer of mozzarella cheese on the top tortilla, covering the tortilla, but leave about 4mm of the edge uncovered. Now lightly sprinkle minced garlic, and crushed red pepper over the cheese. After that, sprinkle the diced tomatoes on top, and then throw in the oven on 325F, until the edges are a golden brown.

Not the most extravegant recipe, but a great one for a tasty health snack without worrying about "sinning" for eating pizza.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness