Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
OpenFree chefs representing!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenFree chefs representing!

Exclamation OpenFree chefs representing!

I figured I'd resurrect an old favorite the reciepe thread..

This is known simply as "the salad" in my home, it's one of our favorite foods.

For 8 people as a sidedish, prep time about 10 mins:

2 onions
    ~50-75 grams of sun dried tomatoes (the dry kind not the oil soaked ones - this is roughly a pack for reference)
    one head of iceberg lettuce
    200 grams of bedeleaves
    400 grams of fetacheese (and do get the real kind not the jarred crap)
    lemon/citron juice to taste (about a lemons worth seems good)
    ½ dl of olive oil
    2 dl of boiling water

1. Slice tomatoes and pour boiling water over, add oil and juice - wisk the mix and let sit for about 5 minutes.
    2. slice onions into cubes, add to mix
    3. add leaves and sliced lettuce
    4. add cubed feta
    5. toss

Enjoy. Not only does this taste great, it looks awesome.

This is well suited for variation, the lettuce and bede leaves can be replaced with other kinds of leafy veggies, I've had good succes with basil and different kinds of lettuce in the mix.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

The fish dish

Again a favorite in the Nielsen household, this is great first date food - it takes zero time and looks like a million bucks.

Serves 6 as a starter, prep time 10-15 mins

3 flat fish
    1 trout
    1 bundle of spring onion
    1½ dl 9% cream
    1 egg

Quick: Get fishmonger to clean the fish, debone them and filet the flat fish
    Showoff: Do it yourself

Put spring onion in blender, blitz for a few secs till it's in chunks, add trout meat, cream and the egg and blend til it's a chunky cream with green specks in it.

butter up 6 small ovenproof bowls and put 2 filets of flat fish on the sides, fill center with the fish cream.

Bake for 18 mins at 200C (180C in hot air oven).

Serve with sauted seasonal veggies and creamy lemony sauce (knorr is your friend here for speed reasons) Hollandaise sauce is a good choice here.

You can of course vary the fish according to season and locale - when I was in the US, I had good succes with replacing the trout with shrimp.

My blog

So in the fish dish, the filets ring the bowls and hold the center together?

No salt, or does that come from the sauce on top?

Quote Originally Posted by tuxette
    So in the fish dish, the filets ring the bowls and hold the center together?

No salt, or does that come from the sauce on top?
    yes that is the point, it will look sort of like fish within fish - pretty. No salt, you can however add salt if you like. It is really as easy as it seems, provided you get the fishmonger to prepare the fish for you, it literally takes 20mins to make and you can prepare them in advance, keep them in the fridge till the evening and just pop them in the oven for serving.

*edit*
    I cook, I clean and I'm reasonably well behaved.. I wonder why I'm single
    Last edited by Lovechild; 02-18-2006 at 05:35 PM.

My blog

Good Guru
    Lord am I glad you arent a vegan. I wouldnt have decent sounding recipes otherwise.

As much as I love my red meat, fish is ALWAYS good. This sounds like a good treat, and once I get around to actually trying it I will let you know. I presume I will end up owing yet another beer for the good idea ;D

This looks awesome. I will try it after I move in with Faestars.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty
    Lord am I glad you arent a vegan. I wouldnt have decent sounding recipes otherwise.

As much as I love my red meat, fish is ALWAYS good. This sounds like a good treat, and once I get around to actually trying it I will let you know. I presume I will end up owing yet another beer for the good idea ;D
    I'm actually trying to live by my ex' vegitarian lifestyle since it's much better for me, at least that's what experience tells me - but I do have a few nice meat dishes up my sleeve for some later date.

For the metric impaired google does conversions btw. if unable to use google, do what I do and guesstimate it.. this is cooking not rocket science.

My blog

Baked shellfish soup

6 dl of fish stock
    2½ dl of 9% cream
    1 lobster stockcube
    600 grams of frozen shellfish
    one pack of butterdough (Unsure of the translation here, this is basically layed dough and butter - when baked it goes really crisp).
    1 egg

Mix up lobster soup from:

6 dl of fish stock
    2½ dl of 9% cream
    1 lobster stockcube

Put in fridge for later use, yes later use - cooking for a date should have you as looking as cool as possible, meaning no mess during the actual finalization process.

Now come serving time, divide the soup into bowls, divide 600 grams of frozen shellfish (chilian lobster tails serve me well) into the bowls. Now roll out the dough to about half it's original thickness and cut about 1½ cm wider than the bowl.
    Crack the egg and wisk up in a bowl or cup, coat one side of the dough lids. Carefully apply the rolled out dough as a lid (egged side down) on the bowls and secure, the egg coating will make it stick. Take great care that the lid does not become overly thin when securing.

Bake at 200C (180C in hot air oven) for about 25mins till the dough is golden.

Literally 10mins of prep time and it's, to use a slightly metrosexual term, devine. Works nicely as main course or a starter.

My blog

The surefire get laid receipe.

I swear this has never failed me, homemade pasta. I fail to understand why it works, it just does.

Regardless it's ultra simple but for full effect does require a bit of equipment.

Per person:
    100 grams of Semulje flour
    1 egg

mix up, roll out thinly, cut into bands (a pasta maker is a big help here but doing it by hand does work as well) boil in water for 8-10 mins.

That is about as simple as it gets I think. The pasta dough is also very suited for making ravioli, here I can warmly recommend a bit of experimenting, the important thing is ensuring that all the air is pressed out of the pasta "packages" so they don't float to the top of the bowl when boiled. Recommended filling could be different kinds of cheeses and cest of limon, nothing to wet or the dough gets soaky and uninteresting. Ensure a tight seal on your ravioli or it will get ruined. Again ravioli can be made in advance and just boiled when the time comes.

It looks like a million dollars but takes little if any skill and costs next to nothing.

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    Per person:
    100 grams of Semulje flour
    1 egg
    I'm so doing this. Thanks a lot lovey!
    Last edited by Tyr_7BE; 02-20-2006 at 02:16 AM.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House