Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LAMP distro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAMP distro

LAMP distro

Hi guys,
    I am thinking of setting up a linux server for my webserver. However, I am a real newbie and my linux skills are crap, so I was wondering whether there is such an distro which comes procompiled with Apache, MySQL and other stuff for webhosting?

Thanks.

LAMP distro

Hi,

Unbuntu, has a really great LAMP server distro, which you can get from http://www.ubuntu.com (you will want the server edition)

Pete

Use <distro> - learn <distro>.
    Use Slackware - learn Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by solidghost View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am thinking of setting up a linux server for my webserver. However, I am a real newbie and my linux skills are crap, so I was wondering whether there is such an distro which comes procompiled with Apache, MySQL and other stuff for webhosting?

Thanks.
    Try XAMPP
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

XAMPP looks great but I was thinking of a distro which comes with these built-in.

I know slackware will have php and mysql configured to work with each other and apache, should you choose to install them all.
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there&#039;s 63,005 bugs in the code!!

Here's a wiki page from Pclinuxos describing two methods for setting up a web server.

Ubuntu-- The server CD has a lamp install option. But it doesn't have a GUI. So I installed it my Ubuntu Feisty desktop system.

There is a nice how to in the tutorial section of Ubuntu forums on xamp. As you know xamp is for development only.
    If you want to take your server live then the easiest way to get lamp up and running on a Ubuntu desktop is to use tasksel.
    Code:
    sudo tasksel install lamp-server
    ApacheMySQLPHP - Community Ubuntu Documentation

I've used both and did not have installation problems with either one. But installing is just the beginning you.
    I suggest you look at installing phpmyadmin and webmin also. This site is hosted on my desktop at home.

Good Guru
    Any major distro is fine.

Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, SuSE ... They all will work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

regarding xampp, i've read one time that it can also be in a production server. the fact that it also has a security. could you give me other reasons why it can't be used in a production.