Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plain English Tutorials

Plain English Tutorials

I've taken a look at the Plain English Tutorials (PET) CGI code and spoken to cloverm about how they work.

It is custom code that reads the YABBSE cookie to only allow updates from YABBSE forum members.

I have a number of choices.

• I can research vBulletin cookies and modify the script. This could take some time.
    • I could install a wiki which would read the vBulletin DB for user information, so that everyone could edit the content to keep it fresh. I have experience with MediaWiki, and this link seems to show how to do the integration seamlessly.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/VBull...rs_Integration

Both options run the risk of breaking after a vBulletin upgrade.

I prefer the wiki alternative. The advantage of a wiki, versus custom code, is that it is ultimately more manageable. HOWTOs, fixes and patches are well documented.

I've looked at the PETs and migrating them to a wiki format should be relatively easy.

What do you think? As always, comments are welcome.

I think it's a good idea to do the second option. We are migrating to vBulletin, so let's make the work 100% done.
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Anyway is fine by me
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

I've tested the wiki / vBulletin integration on my test system and it seems to work OK.

The published hack copies the vBulletin login information into the wiki user database on demand. I'll do some more testing to determine whether a password change on one will update the other (I suspect not).

The big challenge will be to convert the PETs to the wiki format. I'll need volunteers to get it done quickly.

I'll create the basic topic framework and titles and then post the URL.

Is that OK?

Sounds good. That way we can sort out and remove PETs that are old and irrelevant.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru

Go Wiki

It just fits the nature of what a PET is to go Wiki. So why not?

I can provide a little bit of volunteer work. I definitely think a wiki would be the way to go. I have always been a fan of wiki's. They are a great way to share information.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Good Guru
    So what is the status here? I have posted my pets in the pet forum, just to have it always available here, but I do think that it is nothing more than an interim band-aid fix until a more permanent fix is implemented.

Posting a PET in the PET forum is fine, as long as you provide hints on the way you want formatting done. I'll move it into the WIKI. You can also add it straight into the WIKI if you desire. The reason none of yours are in, is that I did not see your name in the list of members who authorize the migration from LJR to OpenFree by someone else. I have been trying to also follow the PET migration thread to get new users who authorize the move of their PETs. This authorization was to come from responses to Peter's emails requesting the migration, or a visit to the migration thread and posting an authorization.

I have been thinking of the best way to illustrate the progress of migration in a table, however, for now, my post in the migration thread will have to do.

I see you have posted an OpenBSD install guide with formatting hints. I can WIKI it if you like or you can make a go of it yourself if you prefer.

Good Guru
    What is the Wiki URL?