Thread: Suse 10.0 YAST Issue with Sound Level

Hybrid View

Suse 10.0 YAST Issue with Sound Level

I have an Audigy 2 that is recognized fine with my system. But for some reason, the settings are not loaded on boot. So, what happens is, I can be listening to music with Amarok and the volume will be way too low. However, I went into YAST, then went into Hardware management, then sound. The system then reads some configuration stuff, and when it is done, the volume changes to max. If I am viewing KMix prior to opening YAST, I can change the volume wherever I want it, and it does stay there (verified by closing and reopening KMix). But, if I open KMix, verify the low volume setting, then open the sound module in YAST, you can see in KMix how the volume gets bumped almost all the way up. Am I missing something here?
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
    I have an Audigy 2 that is recognized fine with my system. But for some reason, the settings are not loaded on boot. So, what happens is, I can be listening to music with Amarok and the volume will be way too low. However, I went into YAST, then went into Hardware management, then sound. The system then reads some configuration stuff, and when it is done, the volume changes to max. If I am viewing KMix prior to opening YAST, I can change the volume wherever I want it, and it does stay there (verified by closing and reopening KMix). But, if I open KMix, verify the low volume setting, then open the sound module in YAST, you can see in KMix how the volume gets bumped almost all the way up. Am I missing something here?
    Once you have the volume set up to your liking, open a command line and run
    Code:
    su -c "alsactl store"
    That should keep your volume settings.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Suse 10.0 Sound Problem (Amarok Related)

Okay, I tried the alsactl store thing, and that does work in a way, but here is the problem... I can save my preferred volumes all day, and it will work until I touch ANY button in Amarok. When I do that, my Master volume in ALSA stays put, but the PCM volume (whatever the hell that is) gets knocked down to near nothing. This is a little bit of a different issue than I was having yesterday, but that is probably because I have been messing with it... In any case, the volumes are reversed from yesterday, but the important thing to remember is that for some reason, Amarok is messing with me. Another odd thing... Usually, the progress bar and volume control in Amarok is colored blue, but ever since I reinstalled two times ago (I have done 3 installs in 5 days, to try and get rid of my issues, as the system was fresh and I wasn't losing anything), they have been grayed out. Now, I can still click on them and they will move, but the progress bar just springs back to the beginning and the song plays as if I never touched the progress bar. The volume will change the volume, but since it messes up the PCM volume, it is hard to tell what the heck is going on. One last oddity of Amarok (version 1.3.1) is that I have to manually click on a track to play it. When that track is done, it will not go on to another track. I apologize that this has turned into an Amarok support issue... This is so odd because on my 32-bit system at work, everything is fine. This 64-bit system was fine 2 installs ago, but now, even with clean installs, it is screwy. I am wondering if it is related to the updates I did when I booted up the first time after the install... Something else to add, just to satisfy the curious... I also tried to play tunes in XMMS, and I can't even get a song loaded into a playlist. It isn't doing the 'I can't support MP3' playlist shuffle, it just flat out isn't adding a track to the playlist. Damn thing... I used Slackware off and on for a couple of years, and as fond as I am of Suse's interface, I may just end up going back. I never fully migrated because I got tired of having to do 3 hours work (which I really don't have) to get Slack to do something simple, but this is getting a little nuts. Maybe a Mac is in order... I wish...

Oh, one more thing (yeah, I have edited the hell out of this post), if I change the Amarok engine to XINE instead of Helix, I get the playlist shuffle that resembles no mp3 support. Odd...
    Last edited by vwgtiturbo; 02-16-2006 at 07:51 AM.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache