Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

CentOS

Thread: CentOS

Hybrid View

CentOS

I have switched my primary workstation operating system to CentOS. CentOS is a repackaged Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution essentially Red Hat minus the branding and cost. Since Red Hat Enterprise Linux is composed open source software, Red hat releases all source code for the product publicly under the terms of the GNU General Public License. The CentOS developers use that source code to built CentOS.

With the current release what you get is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.2. It works well and does what I want it to do. But the best thing of all about CentOS is that it has a long life cycle. This version will be supported to 2012. For a lot of Linux enthusiasts that may sound crazy, but to business and institutions, that is the main thing they want consistency and long term support. Im at that point now myself. I just want something that is 100% Open Source, that works and that lets me make money. CentOS seems to fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by cga
    I just want something that is 100% Open Source, that works and that lets me make money. CentOS seems to fit the bill.
    Are you a consultant by any chance? If so, let's talk. If not, off with you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Are you a consultant by any chance? If so, let's talk. If not, off with you
    I am currently an instructor at a trade school and an independent web developer and support guy. My original instructor posting was to teach A+ certification prep classes and introductory networking. I have managed to expand this somewhat and have updated our intro to networking to include Linux. I have also just finished the syllabus for a class that will give an overview of Linux and Linux applications. I am pushing to add a Linux+ program.

In my other work, I do Web site design, hosting and application development for small businesses using Open Source solutions (CSS, PHP, MySQL). I do some Windows desktop support work for my clients as well, and promote the use of Open Source solutions on Windows. Now I am looking to try and expand my business into full service Open Source consulting as well. I am at the beginning of this trip, and have a ways to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cga
    Now I am looking to try and expand my business into full service Open Source consulting as well.
    Cool. PM on its way.

I'm on RHEL 4 at work and I'm happy with it. Linux distros tend to be stable ... RHEL is super stable. Does CentOS have a comercial support infastructure?
    "In the heat of conversation I may have said certain things I believe to be untrue. The alleged lie that you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago ... thats a parasite that lives in my neck." -- Tad Ghostal

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrow
    I'm on RHEL 4 at work and I'm happy with it. Linux distros tend to be stable ... RHEL is super stable. Does CentOS have a comercial support infastructure?
    Not at present, but there is talk of it. They have great community support, and I believe there is third party commercial support avaialable.

And yes, it is super stable.
    TANSTAAFL