Thread: Google Windows Apps Coming to Linux

Google Windows Apps Coming to Linux

Am I the only one, or does anyone else think this is just wasted effort. I have never used Picasa on Windows, but I do just fine with Digikam. Not only that its a late-comer to the game but it won't even be a native app, it will require certain Wine libraries to run. It could get by due to its claimed photo editing capabilities built in, but it remains to be seen.

jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Quote Originally Posted by jro
    Am I the only one, or does anyone else think this is just wasted effort. I have never used Picasa on Windows, but I do just fine with Digikam. Not only that its a late-comer to the game but it won't even be a native app, it will require certain Wine libraries to run. It could get by due to its claimed photo editing capabilities built in, but it remains to be seen.

I have no interest in running proprietary software on Linux, myself, but others might like this. I could see it make its way into things like Linspire or Xandros.

The Wine thing is a huge turnoff for me. Otherwise I'd totally consider it. Well, it depends on how Wine has matured in recent years. But if I open up picasa or whatever they port and I see a native Win32 look and feel, that's it for me...straight to the trash. It's GTK or bust.

I can see how Picasa is really neat in that it's a one-stop import-and-share solution. I've never used it, but from what I understand, F-Spot does the same deal. I don't have a camera so I'm not familiar. I know F-Spot is a drop-dead-gorgeous photo management app, and apparently it publishes to the web with ease. There's very basic editing built in (colour adjustment...dunno what else), and for everything else there's Gimp

So Google Desktop Search can be replaced easily by Beagle
    Picasa can be replaced by F-Spot

Note that there are other equivalents for KDE. I just have no idea what they are, as KDE doesn't really honk my horn.

What are some other alternatives for people who don't want to deal with a Win look and feel?
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Kind Mastermind
    While I agree that there are much better "alternatives" to Picassa or Google Desktop, I think that the tools will make for a nice addition to the desktop arsenal that Linux already commands. The main thing to consider is this: if someone working under windows (and what a huge weight that can be!) is used to using Google products and decides to change to a more stable and possibly more secure OS, he/she will look for programs that are familiar. So, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Now, I think that if we could get more open-source projects ported to Mac OS X, Windows, etc we would be able to convince people that there truely is a lower TCO when using OSS operating systems and assorted desktop programs.

In the end, if the Google mindshare is created for Linux via the desktop software they provide for free, then I'm all for it. If it's just another half-butted way to push further into "emerging" markets, then I'm against it. Only time will tell.

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

F-Spot is nice, I use Digikam also, but its more a just an photo album manager. I agree with you Tyr, if it uses the Win32 look and feel, its going to be a real loser, but along the lines of cga, its proprietary also, so that just another strike against it. Then if its a dog, which alot of apps run under Wine are, it invalidates any reason I would have to even TRY it.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7