Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new members!

Advisor
    It's fairly simple, install the window manager you want to use, and alter your .startx file to accomodate the changing of your window manager
    There are alot of different managers, I dont know an exact list, I would considder this list to be partial but when reading about the X-window system several others are mentioned, if you want a list with descriptions that too is available.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Thanks man..!!

Advisor
    Just stumbled on this guide to a few of the more widely used ones.

Just for the record, I'm using fvwm and has been since '98, but since theres no official GUI configuration tool for it, it takes some getting used to on the configuration of menus/desktops etc.

Redhead are u preparing for any certifications?(RHCE etc.)need some help here..

Advisor
    I have my Ph. D. in Comp. sci. with an additional master in Math, I have never taken any further certification and never found it needed, one major learning point for me have been trying to develop and maintain a Linux distribution, it was based on the RPM structure, but once I found the ease of aptitude I ended the development.
    And my main reason for going that route subsided, which left me with alot of work for what I didn't seem to gain any advantage from.

I was introduced to maintaining serverfarms in late '97, when the university dorm were expanding their internet availability, and thus I just took over since there weren't anyone around with the commitment to keep it at a high level.

Everything I know and have learned, has been through projects and workrelated incidents that wasn't bound to any certifications at all.

Today my daily work area is as a type of project management and coordinating larger groups of programmers.

I am here to understand the power of Linux. I would like to learn new things with the help of LHN. I would appreciate if I get good feed back for my questions here.

Thank You
    Jnanesh
    INDIA

Hi Guys,

A big Hello from my side.

Thanks
    Kulpreet

A breathless hello from South Africa

Firstly Hi All, from far too sunny South Africa! It's dark and going on for 8 o'clock and it's still 32 degrees out. Been this way for weeks, now. So let's jump right in. I like ubuntu, i really do. I support mark shuttleworth and the whole gang of folks all around the world that have made it what it is. I love that they've managed to get government departments to use it... and schools. But you've gotta ask yourself why is the OS getting so bloated? XP runs on 256megs of RAM... ubuntu barely does, and monstrously slowly... What's up with that? We're supposed to be creating an organism that's simple to use, small enough for most third world PC's (512megs RAM is about average here), fast and efficient. Somewhere down the line, someone dropped the ball. Ubuntu 10.10 requires (recommended, agreed) 1 gig RAM!?! This doesn't sound like the OS that's going to get into every school in the country before too long, does it?
    Don't get me wrong, really, I love this whole concept. I think it's great that kids (or adults, for that matter) get to a deeper understanding of computing by using an OS that's not spoonfeeding them all the time... I just wish that there was a simple GUI-type way to customise your install and strip out anything you don't really need... After all, you can install anything you might need later. I could go on all night, but I've got to go for a dip in the pool, so if you've made it this far, a big Howzit from a Sefrican who's having fun learning how to strip OS's right down to the bare bones... PS, I'm not a programmer, and as such don't have much skill in that dept. In fact, that's why I'm here. To pick brains. Mines available if you're barrel scraping, but, hey...

Advisor
    welcome all!

Sorry Larry, you've exceeded your word quota for the day... ')