Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new members!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDawg
    unless you are a female!
    So do you hold any female's hands? So if I tell you that I'm female, will ya hold my hands?

:P
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmn
    I installed ArkLinux 1006.1rc2, and I am looking for a book, or a person who would be patient enough to hand-hold me, through the installation of some software I downloaded.

I have some very old books on Linux, and they were very helpful in getting me this far, but they don't help at all as far as software installation.

My background is Windoze and OS/2 (yes, some people still use it)

Thanks
    Read the documentation for the software and try to install it. If you run into any problems, you are welcome to post seeking help.

The problem with hand holding is that you pass the responsability of doing research to someone else. That is not nice.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

can't post my questios

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for being so nice in the house. reay fee ike a home here, but I can't find a link to post my questions.
    Can ay one help?
    Tnks
    Asuquo - Africa

Talking I'm new too!

Hey, I'm new to the whole Linux thing. I was bored one day, so i decided to take my old unused computer, wipe the hard-drive (after backing it up of course) and install Linux on it. I played around with a few different distros, but finally decided on Fedora.

I'm still a High School student living in the Boston area. I plan to go to college for Computer Science, or something in that general area. Although I don't know everything about computers, I love working with them and I catch on quickly. Because of this, I will no doubt end up posting asking questions about Linux, or something within Linux. So just go easy with me, and I'm sure after a while, I will get a hold of things enough to even help other newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by svan
    Hey, I'm new to the whole Linux thing. I was bored one day, so i decided to take my old unused computer, wipe the hard-drive (after backing it up of course) and install Linux on it. I played around with a few different distros, but finally decided on Fedora.

I'm still a High School student living in the Boston area. I plan to go to college for Computer Science, or something in that general area. Although I don't know everything about computers, I love working with them and I catch on quickly. Because of this, I will no doubt end up posting asking questions about Linux, or something within Linux. So just go easy with me, and I'm sure after a while, I will get a hold of things enough to even help other newbies!
    Welcome!
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Look for the big button that looks like this at the top of the forum you are interested in posting on.

Greetings

Hello All --

I am about a new to linux as they come, having just really gained appreciation of it enough to tinker while trying to build an Oracle Server for a customer weeks ago. I have been in the tech industry for about 10 years now, starting to feel old at almost 30, but at least I won't ask where the any key is on the keyboard . I'm working with SUSE 9.2 and 10.1 now, and all I keep thinking is how stupid I was to have paid $700 for a Red Hat ES package years ago that I never took the initiative to really do anything with it -- this can get addictive really quick even when you have those abrupt I CANT GET THIS TO WORK moments -- trust me, if you haven't tried to install Oracle on Linux it will test your patience.

Born and Raised in New York, travelled to all the big cities in the US as a consultant to work, and now in Sydney Australia for the past year working.

welcome to the froums

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatenByThePenguin
    I have those abrupt I CANT GET THIS TO WORK moments -- trust me, if you haven't tried to install Oracle on Linux it will test your patience.
    i heard horror stories about it. May be I should test my patient that way. . Only problem is I don't have the hardware that can really host oracle kinda database.
    Born and Raised in New York, travelled to all the big cities in the US as a consultant to work, and now in Sydney Australia for the past year working.
    Nice, I want your kindda job. . I'd LOVE to live in Auzzie.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

I will be setting up Oracle under linux ona RAC setting later this year. I hope you are wrong regarding how hard it is....