Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome new members!

Welcome new members!

Thank you for stopping by! Say "Hello!", say a few words about yourself and let the OpenFree community give you big welcome to this great home!

We have a large membership with many varied interests besides Linux. You'll be surprised how dynamic OpenFree really is!
    Last edited by peter; 02-14-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Administrator Moderator
    Well, I'm not exactly new, but I've been away for a little while. What a lot of changes at OpenFree!

Anyone into cycling? I have a Bianchi Imola road bike for pedaling to work and back. If there's anyone in the San Francisco bay area with a need for speed, let me know.

Also used to do 35mm photography. The equipment is getting old so I was 1/2 way thinking of getting a technology refresh. Any suggestions? I'm now using an old Contax 167MT body (1994), a Tamron 35-135mm (f3.5-4.2) and Zeiss 50mm lens. Anyone willing to give a crash course in the new stuff? New digital features, brands etc. I don't need Nikon to show off, something in the mid range.

Wandering wayfarer.

Hello, strange users of that "other" operating system.

I'm a Windows user, since the days of 3.x releases. My, but it seemed so amazing back then. I'm currently running XP, but seriously considering coming out of the dark into the light of one of the Linux distros. Please be gentle with me and my backward ways. In looking through a few of your topics prior to joining, you seem like a pretty helpful and cheerful batch of folk. That's always a plus.

I'm also over on on another site quite a bit, a rather strange one, to be sure.

I look forward to trying to learn more about Linux and it's deep ways.

Who would ever think there would be a chef thread on a Linux forum? With recipes! Nuts! I posted there so I must be nuts too.

I'm also new to the forum. Use windows at work and home. Have a couple Linux servers for teeny weeny scale web hosting. Hacked twice by script kiddies. That's how I discovered that the "tar" and "scp" commands are important for sysadmins.

Going thru a Latin music phase. Reggaeton and salsa.

Can't think of anything else, but I'll be stopping by this thread to find fellow newbies.

I has my share of reggaeton when I lived in PR. I'm glad I don't have to listen to it everywhere I go now.

Welcome to the forum!
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by starfish
    Well, I'm not exactly new, but I've been away for a little while. What a lot of changes at OpenFree!
    Well, we ain't new but we are fairly new at this forum.

Anyone into cycling? I have a Bianchi Imola road bike for pedaling to work and back. If there's anyone in the San Francisco bay area with a need for speed, let me know.
    I bike but only for recreational and with my dog. I used to bike in trails but got so busy that I haven't bike in years. I don't know about SF area but in South bay (and Penisula) sbay group is very active in bike riding and do geek rides. Myself been there a few times and it's lots of fun.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by girlygeek
    . Hacked twice by script kiddies.
    I know how it feels...

I'm not only new to open free, also kind of new to Ljr, I joined in August 2005. I have a big interest in music, playing the guitar and the piano. I'm also into swimming/waterpolo...
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

I guess I'll coin a new term here, I'm a Linux oldbie - I've used Linux as my sole OS for roughly 7 years now and I love it dearly but I never had the stamina to get very familar with the system in depth. In many respects I'm still at a newbie stage.

I'm a now 24 year old GNOME and Fedora advocate.

In my sparetime, and due to a severe case of Tourettes I have nothing but sparetime, I head up the local atheist meetup group which is a fancy term for drinking beer and debating everything between friends.

I also started the OpenFree chefs thread.. and posted reciepes in it.. representing... I guess.

Other than that there's not much to say, I'm single currently - still looking for the one who is gullab.. willing to put up with me till death due us part.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Im new here I guess? So heres my bit. I used to post a fair bit at GLO. Recieved an email saying it has all been moved here. Interesting! Was suprised to see some of my old posts. And i'm already a senior member I see, heh!

Im into um.... Beer, Linux and Boxing :-)

Been using Linux (many distros - Debian at the moment) for prolly 6 years off and on now, not for any serious reason, just to enjoy another way of doing things and to further my networking know-how.
    Last edited by friskydrifter; 02-27-2006 at 06:50 AM.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Linux User since 2000, LJRer since it opened. I really should more intimate knowledge regarding Linux at this point, but comfortable with the fact that I just know what I know. I have a knack of resolving most of my issues by instinct.

Working on my LPIC just in case though. Cant hurt.

Suse/Ubuntu user.

Hip-Hop Elevator Music maker, though Ive been listening to waaay too much Pink Floyd lately. Hopefully my next musical creation wont sound like "Pigs". Then again....
    I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.