Thread: New Machine to play with

New Machine to play with

I got a new machine a while back, but am just not starting to really play with it. It's an SGI Indy and my first project is to prep it for an Irix upgrade. It currently has 6.2 installed, but I'm looking to upgrade it to 6.5 (have the 6.5 foundation disks AND 6.5.13 overlays, but can probably get newer overlays from the net, so may do that instead.) It's a fun hobby machine.

I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress of fixing this puppy up as I go.

Irix is an awesome desktop unix!

Re: New Machine to play with

Traitor! ;D
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

HA!
    I'm not a LINUX nut... I'm a UNIX nut!!!

I like all things Unix and try to learn as many variants as I can get my greedy little hands on. I'm lucky that my job has me administrating FIVE Unix variants.

We use Linux, Solaris, AIX, Tru64, and HP-UX where I work. I also have an OpenBSD laptop, a FreeBSD installation on my DEC AlphaServer machine at work, my new SGI, and of course, my linux server and Topologi install on my Winblows setup.

And I've played with QNX (I know it got a bad review from someone else, but I've never actually installed it... just run it live) as well as other oddball unix like free OS variants that aren't so well known.

I love every one of them for their similarities and their unique quirks.

O0

Well, I'm not much a UNIX nut in general. I'm more of a GNU/Linux nut. I believe in their cause. What RMS is about.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Progress so far...

I installed the latest Topologi linux on my laptop in hopes of setting it up as a boot server for the Indy. I'm a little distracted because the sound modules are wigging out on me, but I don't need sound to do the boot server. I'll be working on making the laptop talk to the Indy while I'm at work tonight.

Will post what I did if it works later O0

Progress report:

I still don't have sound working on my laptop >
    However, I did get the Indy to talk to my laptop with the crossover cable I made. I set the IP's up manually and was able to get the machines to ping each other just fine. I tested that the networking was okay by uploading an image I put together of snapshots from my favorite anime (naruto) to use as a background on the Indy.

Interesting Irix triva:

Irix has a different file system layout than is expected on most Unix systems. Rather than putting user's home directories in /home it puts them in /usr/people.

To get the background image to load, I tried the example .backgrounds file and used an xpm file, but it wouldn't load. I finally had to locate a different image viewer and explicitly call it (and used the .jpg version instead since I had to go through all the trouble anyway.)

The Indy originally came with a nifty little camera called an IndyCam. Mine didn't come with one, but it just so happens there's an Indy used as a terminal for an Origin machine down in the Data Center and the Origin has been retired (no longer being used) so I swiped the cam from it to test my cam port. It works. I'll be getting myself an IndyCam to use with this machine in the not-to-distant future hopefully.

I will need to recompile my kernel for EFS file system support so I can pull the data off of the install cd's for the boot server to use. Should be fun

Will post more progress later.

Got 2 more SGI Indy workstations in the last few days. I also upgraded the RAM in the first one from 32 Megs to 160 Megs. Now I need to go through and find out how much ram the other 2 have and see if I can't max it out on one of these systems >

I also go 2 SGI 17" monitors, but I need a connecting cable for at least one of them (the other is bubble wrapped and MIGHT have a cable, but I doubt it.)

I also got an SGI disk array with 6 drives, but no cable to connect it for external storage yet, so no idea how much storage it has on those drives at the moment.

This is turning into a VERY fun project (for me) and I'm loving learning a new system. Found a great site for SGI / Irix related talk (any SkyNet... they have an Anime topic on their forums so they can't be PURE evil can that ;D )

The site is http://www.nekochan.net/

Thanks

Cool, So what do you plan on putting all of this SGIs to use doing? distcc?

If I can get one really nice Indy layout, I'll probably use it as my primary X workstation at work. I'll use the other two at home most likely for playing around with learning Irix. I was thinking about trying to learn how to do some graphics rendering for doing up my own creature skins and such for Neverwinter Nights as well, but that's me dreaming (I'm too lazy to really get that deep into custom content LOL)

I just picked up an O2, and was lucky enough to get the 31 disc 6.5 set. I'm leaning more towards MIPS ASM, but still, SGIs are just plain fun.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness