Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

nic driver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nic driver

nic driver

I got the gentoo universal live cd - following the instructions i realise they dont have the module for my nic. I have the module for my nic (sis900.o) on a floppy but dont know how to make gentoo use it so i can get on with the rest of the install

ive managed to mount it at /mnt/gentoo/mnt/floppy/sis900.o

i cant copy it to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net because it is on the cd and obviously write protected.

please help.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Re: nic driver

Be careful using any old module, unless the sources are the same, it probably won't work.

You will have to send a bug report to them to get them to add it to the ISO. In the mean time, is it possible for you to swap NICs with another machine that you know to be supported?

You could then use the other NIC once you had a full system.

Now the way to actually make an ISO. If none of the above is possible, you can make your own iso. First, start by mounting the gentoo live cd iso to loopback with
    Code:
    mount file.iso /cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop
    Now, make a temporary directory, and copy everything out of the ISO on the loopback to the temp dir. Once that is done, you can add the PROPER modules to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net.

Next, remake the iso with

Code:
    mkisofs -o /tmp/cd.iso /tmp/directory/
    You can then reburn the CD and boot it over again. The CD may not recognize your card, so you will probably need to load the module yourself with modprobe.

-Babbing

Thanks babbing - a few things

When i extract the contents of the cd to a temp directory there is livecd.squashfs where the directories I want to add things to reside. I made a temp dir outside the cdrom dir and tried
    Code:
    mount livecd.squashfs ../temp -t squashfs -o loop
    but squashfs is not supported in my kernel. I hate recompiling and cant be bothered with the inevitable errors

Pah!

so bugger it! disabled the onboard nic and installed a pci nic

if i ever get this running i try to use the onboard later.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

you have the ISO burnt to a CD, You can just mount the cd and then grab everything. Also, why are you using squashfs? Wouldn't ISO9660 work?

easier to explain like this

Code:
     mount install-x86-universal-2004.3-r1.iso cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop
    Code:
    cd cdrom
    Code:
    ls -l
     drwxr-xr-x* 2 root root* * *24576 Nov 22 22:59 distfiles
    drwxr-xr-x* 3 root root* * * 2048 Oct 30 03:47 docs
    drwxr-xr-x* 2 1000 users* * *2048 Nov 25 13:21 isolinux
    -rwx------* 1 root root* 47374336 Nov 25 13:23 livecd.squashfs
    drwxr-xr-x* 2 root root* * * 2048 Nov* 3 05:30 snapshots
    drwxr-xr-x* 2 root root* * * 4096 Oct 30 00:58 stages
    -rw-r--r--* 1 root root* * * *983 Oct 28 00:49 x86-packagelist-2004.3.txt
    -rw-r--r--* 1 root root* * * 6510 Oct 28 00:49 x86-release-notes.txt
    Code:
    cp livecd.squashfs ../tmp/
    Code:
    cd ../tmp/livecd.squashfs
    Code:
    -bash: cd: livecd.squashfs: Not a directory

ok i finally got gentoo connected with a different nic

5 hours of install and a billion billion megs of download i got to configuring grub then rebooted

Message from comp: cannot load the operating system.

AAAAARRRGGGGG! stick gentoo up your a**. Smashed the disk!

LOL

this is more for rants an flames i think.

back to Slack!

Are you sure that you just didn't screw up your grub.conf?

friskydrifter, ROFLMAO. Give Debian a try too. I'm a Slackware user as well, but I've installed Debian on my server machine, and I'm quite impressed. There are a few kinks I haven't been able to work out yet, but nothing show stopping. It is quite a bit different during install then Slackware, but I think you'll be able to wade through it.

I would also recommend using Sarge instead of Woody, because Woody is to out of date for most modern machines. For example, if you need USB keyboard support at boot, then you're going to want Sarge.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Well of course i stuffed up grub somehow, ( i think i know where but im not lettin on or look like a fool - i was tired after so long :P) but after all that i couldnt be bothered with it anymore. Waiting for the graphic installer if it ever comes out ;-)

Might give Debian a go? see how i feel later on.

Why not post your grub.conf file? I have had my share of grub problems in the past and might be able to help.