Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I'm installing Gentoo right now

Thread: I'm installing Gentoo right now

I'm installing Gentoo right now

I am installing Gentoo as I type right now. It still has a long way to go as I am still in the stage1 (bootstrap) compilation. But I am excited. I have heard nothing but good things about Gentoo and the installation instructions are really well done and easy to follow.

I am installing it all on logical volumes (LVM2) except for /boot so if any of you have any experience with LVM, especially root on LVM and the init scripts involved with that I would love to hear suggections.

I hope to make this my primary OS alongside Fedora Core 2 and Win XP which are already installed.

I will post more as I progress. ;D

Re: I'm installing Gentoo right now

Aww, nobody has even viewed this topic. :'(

Well, it is up and running. I never could get root on LVM going so I had to repartition and move root off the LVM. But I still got everything else on LVM (/home /usr /tmp /var /opt) so I'm happy. It is still basicly a bare bones system, just installed the Xorg X server, next will be gnome, and it is runnin' great! It feels good to have a whole system compiled specificaly for my specs.

I will need to recompile the kernel again to change a couple of options. Mainly stack space and allowing different vga modes for the console. But that can wait.

Has anyone else tried Gentoo?

I am glad you got it working! ;D ;D

I have not yet tried Gentoo. I have built a couple of LFS systems, which I am figuring is pretty much the same thing. I'll be following your thread, and I'll help out anywhere I can!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

I've used Gentoo, and I like Slackware better.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Your a slackware nut. I have to say the testing version of Debian is a beautiful thing. It is starting to remind me of the beautiful days of Progeny(I cry for you Progeny!)

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Yeah, I'm a gentoo convert now. Still using it and still loving it. ;D

A word about debian. While I like it and used it for a long time, it has some rather annoying "attributes". One main one being not following the linux standard when it comes to the /etc directory, I kind of had to relearn a lot of things in order to configure debian. Also, one reason I tried gentoo was because my debian started locking up randomly and eventually it would not boot any more due to corruption. I still have the partitions there and am able to mount them when I need something off my old deb system but causing the system to lock up is unacceptable, and I don't care if it is unstable, it should never be that bad.

I still use debian stable on my fileserver so I have nothing against it, but I do not trust it any more for my bleeding edge desktop desires.

That's why I like Slackware over Gentoo. It's more stable. I'm afraid that Slackware may be losing GNOME which I prefer over KDE. I hope this doesn't come to pass.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Sorry that I haven't seen this thread/stopped in more frequently. I started using gentoo about 3 months into discovering linux, but did know enough to _really_ use it, so I went back to redhat(8 it was at the time I think) I used redhat 8 and 9, then got pissed when they dropped desktop support, and turned the community into test dummies(FC2). So, since 9, I have been 100% Gentoo. It is the best distro you are likely to come across(don't listen to SkyNet :P)

Let me know if you need anything, you will mostly find me on IRC or teamspeak.

Good day - Babbing

Xamindar - another thing

I am not sure if you have noticed the GLO Olympics thread, but check it out. There is a cool first place prize(A Vendetta-Online membership - Thanks Aragorn), and using gentoo, and portage, will make installing the games quite simple(except slune, &^#!$%#$^). :P

-Babbing