Thread: slackware and this xorg.conf business

slackware and this xorg.conf business

what the hell is with this shit ass xorg business that has no documentation, with my slackware install I cannot run xf86config even though it says the xorg.conf was made by it at install, it also does not like my config file that the ati xconfig program makes, I do not like this at all, if this is the great "new" of slackware 10 I dont like it too much, I would much rather just go with a lfs or something of the sort that I configure myself without all this messy business of xorg and just go with the good old XF86Config files of old that worked... also, I goto the x.org site, and see no documentation at all... goto the tldp site, again, no documentation... imho when I used slackware, liked it because everying worked with a little tweaking, now the tweaking doesnt exist because the commands are void and null as far as I know, I heard something about this xorg business being something of the sort of people not like xfree and such, but at least it had documentation and worked, well this xorg business works, however it only takes up half my screen... and yes, I have modded the xorg.conf file to contain the proper H and V sync rates as per my monitor manufacturer. well rant about crappy xorg over.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Re: slackware and this xorg.conf business

1) Are you SURE the documentation isn't there? Try "man Xorg" and "man Xserver"

2) Did you bother to do an "ls" in the /usr/X11/bin dir? You should check there with "ls X*" and "ls x*" to see what commands start with an X and an x respectively. I bet you find a command that looks like it makes the config for you if you look hard enough.

3) This isn't a "Slackware" issue so much as an X issue. The ONLY way you aren't going to be forced to mess with Xorg or be forced to install XFree86 instead of / along with it is to do LFS, or go back to an older distro. All of the major distros have moved to Xorg due to licensing issues with XFree86

4) You have your homework (1 and 2 above) so go do it... don't procrastinate... and come tell us what you learned!

and long time no see Omo... welcome back

Re: slackware and this xorg.conf business

hehe, I am lazy, you got me :P, I used to love slackware because it worked, and as far as I can tell the config file for the xorg is the same, and yes I did semi half ass look but not too extensively. its mainly just the annoyance of even if they did switch, doing the xconfig with the ati tool and renaming it should still work, and the annoyance of, it says it uses xf86config. and for some odd reason, the older distro's, even though people said 10 was faster, its not, bootup takes outrageously long, and I usually have to turn off half of my things that are enabled on my motherboard to avoid kernel panics until I get a customer kernel compile done. meh, for the most part I am still in linux limbo other than enjoying helping friends, no time to piss with it at the current :-\
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)