Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Connecting to a CISCO Router

Thread: Connecting to a CISCO Router

Connecting to a CISCO Router

Hey there - Slack 10 looks great

Anyway i connect to cisco routers using hyperterminal
    What can i use from my Slack laptop.

Anyone done this before?

Cheers
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Re: Connecting to a CISCO Router

erm.. hyperterminal?

Are you using it in "modem" mode (where it uses your modem to dial another box that happens to be a cisco router... not likely but have to ask anyway) or "virtual terminal" mode (where it just telnets to the cisco router over an already existing network connection.)

For the latter (which I suspect is what you mean) just use telnet.

If you mean the former, I'll get you a list of decent modem control programs.

is there hyperterminal for linux?
    where? how? didnt think it ran on anything but doze

anyway i just need to connect through com port 1 (ttyS0) with the cisco cable provded.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

For communication over a COM port it's easiest to just use cu or tip (tip isn't on linux any more methinks, but cu is.)

Hyperterminal doesn't run on linux. That doesn't mean there isn't an equivalent or better. Don't get caught up in thinking that a client has to be called by a specific brand name from a specific company... for instance, MS Windows is an OS, but OS doesn't imply it's MS Windows.

If you want a Hyperterm equivalent, there's a console program called "minicom" that you might want to check out. If you just want to be able to configure your Cisco router, try using cu as per the article in this link:

http://www.sdnp.undp.org/rc/areas/te...sco-geta2.html

Good luck.