Thread: Lightweight POS?

Hybrid View

Lightweight POS?

Hi,

I run a very small bookshop for our church. We turn over about $150 per week and have approximately 1 to 3 sales per day. Every couple of months we get a large shipment of books in and smaller shipments in between.

We've got a lap top set up with a bar code scanner and I'm looking for some easy to use, light POS software that would just help us with stock control, print receipts if necessary and keep a basic record of transactions.

I've done a search but most software seems to be set up for restaurants or similar which have a limited number of items for sale, or else set up for multiple cash registers/ operators with big turnover.

I was thinking of using MySQL on a server, and possibly hook up with a GUI front end of some sort. To do that and make it work might take a bit of effort.

I'm sure that someone somewhere must have produced the necessary software for a small business.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Keith

Re:Lightweight POS?

Just answering my own question.

i did a search of sourceforge and found some interesting projects.

I don't know why I didn't do that earlier.

Sorry for wasting people's time.

Keith

That was fast Keith, I just got to looking at this topic today. If you find a project that suits your needs, and works well, could you post it here? This way anyone else doing a search for POS software might find this thread.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Here are the pick of the bunch of the ones on sourceforge from my perspective
    Free Mercator- java based POS requires hsqldb
    freemercator.sourceforge.net Seems OK, except I had a brief play with hsqldb and couldn't get it going on my computer.

PHPpoint of sale- seems just the ticket. Runs php, browser. databases set up looks OK for what I need. some tweaking may be necessary. www.phppointofsale.com/

Turquaz, inhumni, Erika- foreign language no obvious Eng. support.

Nola- PHP based. Seems a lot more than we need but could be excellent.

Custom- uses python, cgi scripts. Used web browser interface to SQL databases (eg MySQL)... looks a little difficult to set up.
    custom.sourceforge.net

EuroPOS- could be OK... seems simple to use. Uses Perl, MySQL. Front-end seems simple enough- enter code and go. europos.sourceforge.net

Of these, I think I like PHPpoint of sale and EuroPOS. This is just on first impressions gleaned from looking at the web pages, screen shots etc.

If I remember, i will follow this up with a report on what we actually install and how it goes.

Keith

Looks like I'm doing a great job of carrying this thread along!

We've installed Europos and it's going well. It's pretty well ideal for our needs, although we did run into some problems:

1. The app needs Tk-perl which for some reason our debian installation just spat the dummy every time we tried to install it. We eventually got it to accept it.

2. There is a flaw in the database set up. It creates a MySQL database with a field called sysstring but the program actually needs the field to be called sysString (it might be the other way round).

3. The cash register screens aren't complete with the exception of the one designed for restaurant touch screens. It works fine except that it has buttons that aren't really applicable.

Apart from these quibbles, one of which isn't related to the POS software, it works well and meets our needs.

Keith

Re: Lightweight POS?

Further update on EuroPOS.

Discovered the software really rocks!

I found that you can edit all the buttons in the Touch Screen Register so we no longer sell cheesecake and beer but can enter buttons for cards, novelties and other stuff.

You can edit the main function buttons as well to provide a range of discounts or sale types. This is all done through the MySQL database that EuroPOS uses.

So we are finding it a very fine POS package very flexible. Highly recommended.

Keith

Re: Lightweight POS?

This is very interesting, thank you for sharing this! ;D O0

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.