Thread: Freeze during boot

sskagent

Freeze during boot

I just installed Fedora, when I go to boot it up for the first time it freezes during boot. Most of the time its when initalizing firewire ohci-1394 but othertimes its for firstboot or swap space. I heard i need to enter linux nofirewire as a boot command but I'm a noob and I don't know how to do that. Do you do it when you are in grub? Please help

Re:Freeze during boot

Most of the time its when initalizing firewire ohci-1394 but othertimes its for firstboot or swap space.
    Almost sounds like a hardware problem - HDD maybe?

I don't know how to do that.
    me either - damn grub! I'd love to see a bootloader that had a choice of options to choose rather than having to remember them, how hard could it be?

tried typing 'man grub' at the command terminal? Silly, but if you dont know about manual pages then check them out :-)
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

LILO allows a choice of boot options

Look at the Live CD distros such as Knoppix, Lnx-BBC, etc.. for examples of how these options can be set up...

I'm not sure about grub, but if you have a "boot: " prompt at all... you'll want to type the name of the kernel you want to boot by (usually just "linux" or "vmlinux") followed by your boot parameter (nofirewire)

Hope this helped

i don't know the exact command, but i do know that if you push 'c' when grub is staring at you, you can enter a grub command line. From there, you can tell it how to boot, or even append your boot options 8)