Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 10

Hybrid View

GeminiJon

Mandrake 10

Anybody install this one yet?

I just burned CD's 1, 2, & 3 this afternoon and am going to try an install after I format my hard drive and reinstall XP.

I'm completely new to linux and am really excited, this looks great.

Re:Mandrake 10

Havent had a look at it yet, welcome to linux - it is great!
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

GeminiJon

Well I would agree with you if I hadn't had problems with it this weekend.

I installed Mandrake 10 and chose all the desktops at the install screen and it finished installing and asked me which desktop I would prefer to use, so I thought I'd try KDE first.

The bootloader works fine, after reboot it came up and I chose linux. Everything looked okay until the KDE progress stopped at 85% on the blue folder, I just thought it was taking too long but I waited for it to continue and it went to a blank blue screen, nothing else.

I rebooted and tried the other choices, linux-nonfb does the same. And I don't know anything about failsafe.

Could anyone help me out? I'd really like to see linux working on my pc.

System Specs:
    P4 2.4 GH 533fsb
    512 MB PC2100 or 2700 memory
    Liteon DVD
    NEC CDRW
    Soundblaster Live
    GeForce4 420MX 64 MB video
    Windows XP Home on C:

do you have a "boot: " prompt at the boot selection screen? if so you might try:

linux noscsi

and see if that helps... other boot parameters that might help alone or in combination include:
    nousb
    nopci
    noapm
    noacpi
    acpi=no
    apm=no
    nomce
    nopcmcia

I hope this helps... good luck and let us know if any of those work...

same problem basicly

I have the same problem basicly. I am new to this forum and Linux.I posted in the wrong area earlier,sorry about that. But my problem is that when I start up mandrake 10.0 it hangs for about 4 minutes.
    Also I can't get on line for some reason. I am using ADSL. I must ask, where is " Boot Selection Screen"? is it in console or KDE ? I don't want to mess anything up by putting commands in the wrong program.
    A neighbour of mine installed this for me so I'm on my own the rest of the way. I am very happy to have this new OS as I have been using windows for a long time and would like to learn about Mandrake and see the difference between the 2 and explore it so I need all the help I can get. I am running IntelR / pentiumR 4 / cpu 1500mhz/ 1.51GHz/ 256 Ram.
    I am using Win XP to get on line.

Quote Originally Posted by gaxprels
    do you have a "boot: " prompt at the boot selection screen? if so you might try:

linux noscsi

and see if that helps... other boot parameters that might help alone or in combination include:
    nousb
    nopci
    noapm
    noacpi
    acpi=no
    apm=no
    nomce
    nopcmcia

I hope this helps... good luck and let us know if any of those work...

Associate
    Andy Fun,
    You've joined a two-year-old thread! If you have some fairly new hardware Mandrake 10 may have some trouble with identifying it on boot. The current open-free version is Mandriva 2006. It may handle current hardware much better and the Mandrake Control Center's Networking section may be better able to help with your ADSL problem.

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/

Good Luck!

basho

I'm posting this from Mandrake 10.0 and Konqueror... My first Linux install at home (well, my second, I used old RedHat 9 disks to get the machine going, and to install bit torrent to get the Mandrake iso images).

The install process DID ask for Disk 4 (the bit torrent only had three disks), but I could skip it and things seem to work ok, so far...

My only problem was with the sound driver (ALSA), the boot process hangs trying to load it. If I start up in interactive mode and not load it everything else works fine. I'll post another top level message to see if people can help.

drinking_beer

Other problems --- Xmms crashes everytime I try to launch it from the menus. To get it to work, either launch it from a shell ($ xmms), or kill artsd (# pidof artsd, # kill -9 PID) then the menu entry for Xmms works fine. Whenever I kill the artsd I've had no probs with other apps. Results may vary.

KDE's Kontact is a nice collection of apps, but the knotes feature will lock it right up. Everytime.

Trying to burn from the CLI gives me this error ---
    "cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver." I've tried running it as root and as a user. Not sure about this one. "cdrecord --scanbus" gives me 1,1,0 for my burner. K3B works great though.

Haven't had any boot problems (AthlonXP2000+, Gigabyte GA-7VAX, 512MB PC2700, GF4 Ti4200 128MB, not using any USB devices, but the USB ports are all detected) with 10.0 and the stock 2.6.3 kernel. I boot to runlevel 3 with the nonfb option as default.

Aside from these little points, I'm really impressed with Mandrake 10.0. KDE 3.2 is responsive and stable (I don't like Gnome so I haven't tried it. Not starting a flame war, just personal preference). KOffice 1.3 is really sweet and it'll save to .sxw format. Love it. When Mandrake releases the official version I'm going to buy it.

drinking_beer

One more thing, inorder to get java and flash working with FireFox and/or Mozilla, you have to install libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm (a quick google search will find it). Just simply install that package and restart your browser. The plugins will be working just like that.

Kobel

Where did you get it GeminiJon? ???
    I'm trying to find recent mandrake or redhat, but I can't :-[
    Can anyone help me?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJon
    Anybody install this one yet?

I just burned CD's 1, 2, & 3 this afternoon and am going to try an install after I format my hard drive and reinstall XP.

I'm completely new to linux and am really excited, this looks great.