Thread: Gasoline

Gasoline

Has anyone ever heard that gasoline is a by-product of oil refining? Would this not mean that it is actually free (yet costs $6 bucks a gallon is Europe)?
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Re:Gasoline

Yes, actually, you could say that many things are a by product. Deisel, kerosene, gasoline. In the refinement process, they all separate, sorta like water and oil.

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
    Has anyone ever heard that gasoline is a by-product of oil refining?
    *cough*
    Excuse me? I learnt this when i was 15 in science.....
    I thought everyone knew about the different fractials in crude oil and how it was seperated into stuff for oil, plastic, pertol etc....

Would this not mean that it is actually free (yet costs $6 bucks a gallon is Europe)?
    Well...
    By the time you
    * Process it
    * Distill it
    * Ship it
    * Add tax onto it

How much is a gallon in litres? We pay just over a dollar a litre in nz here. With 5cents going on in the next 5 years to help pay for the ^%*(^%( yuppies roading system &*^&)...
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Well here we are paying about 1.65 a gallon. And being your ever charming self again Alastair :P. Crude Oil is selling at like 35$ a barrell right now I believe, so no it isn't free, and if it wasn't for OPEC being greedy it would be much less pricey.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

im always charming ;D
    I think you'll find one of the things they have to do is keep the price up to keep the demand down.
    If Petrol was 1/4 of the price, then everyone would use it more, We would polute everything more, then run out of it in 10 years and not know what to do...

Well, needless to say, I didn't pay too much attention in school for a few years.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    im always charming ;D
    I think you'll find one of the things they have to do is keep the price up to keep the demand down.
    If Petrol was 1/4 of the price, then everyone would use it more, We would polute everything more, then run out of it in 10 years and not know what to do...
    I STRONGLY disagree with you here Alastair. Opec has no worries at all about keeping pollution down. Plus they have no desire to keep the demand down, they raise the prices to raise demand and force countries to have to buy it. America has no choice except to go to our own oil reserves, which I think we should do, but I understand America's position in not doing it. Opec is just a bunch of greedy guys who are screwing the whole world on prices.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

I have been doing some reading about alternative fuel sources, and energy sources, and how they were developed/patented... It amazed me. There was one guy that invented a system that would make gas obsolete, and would have zero pollution, etc. Anyways, before the guy patented the idea, he disappeared. I will try to find the thing I read and post it here... Anyways, I would bet that the oil companies probably knocked the guy off, so that they wouldn't be forced out of business by him and his idea, THEN took his idea and patented it, that way, when the oil does finally run out, they will introduce this new technology (as if they invented it), and they will STILL makes zillions of dollars (yeah, that's the TECHNICAL term... zillions...). I would not be surprised if this theory was true. Hell, if I made the money that they make, and some fool came around trying to take that away, I think I would have him knocked off...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn
    Opec is just a bunch of greedy guys who are screwing the whole world on prices.
    Kinda remimds me of the americans

:P :P

Aw, come on Alastair... There are many worse groups of people in the world than Americans. I am not saying that I am necessarily proud of everything this country and it's so called 'leaders' have done, but there are about as many good things as bad. Problem is, noone remembers the good things, and noone forgets the bad...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL