Thread: Nvu Local Server

Hybrid View

Nvu Local Server

Has anyone dinked with Nvu yet? I installed it today, but no matter what options I put in the 'Publishing' section of the preferences, I can not get the program to see my local server directories. If I input the addresses for my site hosted by my ISP, all is well. But when I try to edit stuff on my home server (saved and running from a second hard drive), all I get is a system busy indication. It never shows a file list...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Re:Nvu Local Server

I downloaded nvu for windows. I haven't published anything from it as of yet, because the site I wanted to update was giving me problems (haven't updated that page in a while, and now it's telling me the username/password is incorrect... and it's not nvu, it's the site.) I'll start apache up on here and see if i can publish to myself. I don't know what all options nvu offers for publishing as of yet, other than ftp, but I'll look into it and see

Yeah, after my Lin installation displayed this problem, I d/l'd the win version, and it does the same. Either I am not inputting it correctly, or it just doesn't like saving to a local site. It handles the ftp upload of the site I have hosted on my isp just fine though. In all, it looks like a great start. I use Dreamweaver for all of my pages, and is the only reason I still use Win, so if Nvu can get to that level, then I would be set. I manually code the webpages, but the only feature I use on Dreamweaver is the drag-and-drop <a href> links (to link to local site files, to download). I can't stand to type in all of that crap for one link, much less type all of that when some of my pages have 300-600 links... Sometimes, I wish I REALLY knew how to use Dreamweaver's full potential, so I could make some really cool pages, but I like things simple, so I haven't been able to convince myself that it would be worth my time...yet...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

just out of interest, whats it like as an application to use?
    Am I still stuck in the dark ages using bluefish to code everything by hand?

whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

well, it is kind of like bluefish, as far as coding but resembles dreamweaver with better features (site management being the thing I like). That way, if you rename something, it should search your site, looking for links to the item you renamed, and fix the link accordingly. I don't think that it is quite up to par with DW, but seeing that it is only a .1 release, it is quite good...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Hmm, thats pretty cool.
    How slow is it? Considering its Mozilla Composer++.... Is it written in XUL (ie, is it bloated and slow)
    Maybe i'll have to integrate this funky site renaming thing into Bluefish's project management
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Well, the site management thing is something I have read about and not been able to experience firsthand... yet. I can't get Nvu to work with a locally stored site (i.e. one that is not on a remote ftp or http server). Really odd... It does look promising though. I also like how the interface is tabbed, with tabs for HTML code, design, and preview. It makes it alot easier that you don't have to fire up your browser to preview the page. All you have to do is switch tabs, and your changes in code take place real time. The design view is also helpful, because it highlights where your tags start and stop, so it makes it easier to see if you left an end tag out (or something similar...). I can't say if it is slow or fast yet, as I have only opened it then closed it (once again, since I can't get a local site to work, I haven't actually made any pages with it.)
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

funny, lindows built their webpgae with frontpage, and people caught wind of this, and to say the least, they were embarrised. Anyways, is this a fairly new project? Does it even have an alpha release?

Yeah, the took the code base from Mozilla Composer, and revamped/rewrote/added to it... It is supposed to be competition for the more popular designers (frontpage, dreamweaver, etc.). It looks promising, but you never know. They are officially on the .10 release, but there is a .15 for windows to eliminated the need to copy some dlls...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Re: Nvu Local Server

Just in case someone hasn't noticed, the newer versions of nvu now handle local sites (file:\\...........).
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL