Thread: xinetd woes

xinetd woes

Ok, I've read the man pages a few times and googled for this, and either I'm blind, or just THAT tired (probably both) but I can't seem to find any helpful information on this problem.

Here's the scenario:

I have a computer running RedHat 7.3. The services "echo" and "daytime" have been set up to run through xinetd, and xinetd has been started with the "-stayalive" (I think this was the flag) option. If I type "telnet localhost echo" or "telnet localhost daytime" I get no connection. If I type "telnet taz2 echo" or "telnet taz2 daytime" these services work fine (where "taz2" is the name of the computer) BUT if I connect to these ports from any OTHER machine (not from taz2 to taz2, but from someothercomputer to taz2) I get what seems to be a connection, but the connection is closed as soon as any data is sent, rather than responding appropriately.

I haven't looked at the IPTABLES layout as of yet, because I suspect it's a flag that needs to be passed to xinetd rather than a firewall rule.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re:xinetd woes

When the computer resolves "taz2" what IP is it using? Hopefully your localhost is the same IP.

** Oops what am I thinking, taz2 should be your LAN IP, while loaclhost your loopback 127.0.0.1

Also when you try to connect to taz2 from another computer, is this computer on the LAN with you, or is it a remote PC? LAN to LAN connections shouldn't work unless you're passing LAN IPs.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

localhost is 127.0.0.1 as it should be
    taz2 resolves to a 10.x.x.x address

If I telnet to these ports from taz2 to taz2 without calling it localhost, it works fine. If I telnet to taz2 from taz2 via localhost, it refuses the connection. If I telnet to taz2 from another computer on the 10.x.x.x lan it seems to connect, but closes the connection as soon as any data is sent rather than doing what it should.

weird, things i can only guess at are tcpwrappers? or iptables.

if you are running telnet can you just telnet localhost (instead of telnet localhost echo)?
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Telnet to the telnet port works fine. Telnet is how I connect to this machine to do admin tasks, in fact. The services "echo" and "daytime" were set up by the main admin for this machine so he could use them as examples for how to connect to a server using example code he gives the students in class. These ports have worked in the past, but they mysteriously didn't work this time when he turned them on. I'll check the IPTABLES info and see if tcpwrappers is set up (don't think so since this is xinetd, not inetd, and didn't see any options for tcpwrappers, but I could be wrong.)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

this might be carrying on a bit here but i suppose you could eliminate iptables by stopping it

service iptables stop

If I type "telnet localhost echo" or "telnet localhost daytime" I get no connection. If I type "telnet taz2 echo" or "telnet taz2 daytime" these services work fine
    maybe something to do with /etc/hosts?

tried telnet 127.0.0.1 echo?

what about trying the ipaddress from the remote machine as well instead of the computer name.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P