Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

clean install help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clean install help

conrad5

clean install help

I'm doing a clean install on a new computer that I recently built . I want to run Linux - Redhat Fedora Core 1 . When I try to install from DVD ROM I get shut down . The system boots off the disk , probes my monitor ,graphics , and mouse . Then it starts the X server, gets an XIO error and starts shutting back down . It ends with the system saying it's OK to reeboot now.? I'm running two SATA drives , my BIOS is seeing the drives , is my installer missing them ?

Re:clean install help

I know nothing of Fedora, but those guy's will get to this message in a few, and they'll give their thoughts as well. Right now, the only thing I can tell you is to check to make sure the .iso image you burned to a disc is 100% okay. You do this with it's md5sum or CRC depending on which they have for it. This makes sure the .iso is in perfect condiditon, and not faulty. You should also do a file verification after you burn a disc. Can't excatly do that now, but you can at least check to make sure the .iso on your HDD is correct.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

conrad5

I think I figured it out . My disk is not partitioned correctly . Without any other OS on my drives the FIPS tool on my install disk is useless . How do you get the hard drives partition for a Linux only computer?

I don't know how Fedora handles this, but with Slackware when you boot off the CD, it puts you at a command prompt. From there you can use the tool fdisk or cfdisk. cfdisk is much easier to use. The way you would start them is something like cfdisk /dev/hdx where the x is the HDD you're trying to partition. Usually a is the first HDD on the system. If you're using a promise controller, you're first disk might be e instead.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

when you pop the first cd into the drive to boot it, it prompts you if you want to run a mediacheck.
    Do that and it will check the cd for errors.
    Take a look at the redhat 9 installation guide for help on how to partition the drives using the built in redhat tools:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...install-guide/

whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

conrad5

OK , I ran fips in DOS and partitioned my HD . I ran install again and got the same error . Xserver loads , then get an "XIO error" "CONFIRMED by PEER" . Then starts a shut down list , and end up saying "it ok to reeboot your system" . I'm still confused , in early stages of the setup it loads a driver "ata_piix" , so I think it sees my HD. Do I need to install another driver for the hard drives, I'm running two SATA RAID0 , could be my problems ?

ok, first of all, you don't need to partition your hard drive before you try to install linux. There is a tool in the installer which helps you.
    Where are you getting this error? when the installer starts?

There is a option to use a lower resolution in the installer. When the computer boots off the cd, it says something like press <f2> for more options. do that, and there is an option to use a different screen resolution. it will involve something like typing in
    'linux lores'
    and pressing enter

conrad5

I'm trying to install RH Fedora Core 1 with DVD install disc . I boot the machine with disc in place , Install screen appears with option list . I enter graphic install mode , lots of things scroll past my monitor , it loads a couple files and starts probing . Graphics card , unknown monitor , and generic 2 button mouse are all that show up . Then it starts the "X" server , the screen goes black with an X over the mouse pointer for about 2 seconds , then install screen comes back with an error . "Starting X server 1.....2....3.....4....5.connected.... disconected"
    "X IO : fatal IO error 104(connection reset by peer) on X server ":1.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed)with 0 events remaining
    install exited abnormally
    sending termination signals "

thanks for the replies.

ok, at the install screen that you get to first, type:
    linux lowres
    and see if that gets you into the installer program.
    What monitor and graphics card do you have?

conrad5

I'm using XFX GeForce 5600 256m , and an old AcerView WVGA