Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What's up with the stats?

Thread: What's up with the stats?

sasha

What's up with the stats?

Is it me or is this site shrinking ???
    I know I don't visit it that often but the last time I looked at the stats, there were at least 70 members and now only 29.
    Can anybody pleasy explain this strange phenomenon.

dox

Re:What's up with the stats?

the owner deleted many of those that didnt come for to long!!!

sasha

Wow!!! That's some major cleaning. On other forums they delete like 20 people a month, but herer...
    Do you guys have one post policy? You know stating somewhere that if poeple don't post at least one post on the forum they will be deleted? There are lurckers out there, but if a person doesn't bother making one post than they don't care about neither the web site nor Linux Communitys.
    And I also realized that welcoming private messages help. Some people actually start posting after they receive a private message and see how friendly people on GNU/Lunux forums are.

You raise an interesting point, I possibly should incorporate a private message into the signing in process. As far as the deletion process. I go through every now and then and erase everyone that is not active within 60 days. This site took a major downturn when we got hacked. GLO was down for quite some time. Even before then though we had a lot of ghost accounts. I don't know of many forums that delete their user list at all because they like the inflated look, and in all honesty we did get more people who signed up when it said we had 600+ members or however many it was we had. In the long run though it was just more ghost accounts. If anyone wants me to stop this process, I will. I just want to pay homage to the people who do atleast post once every two months. I would very much like to see GLO grow again. It was quite nice when we had a large user base posting. I have looked around at a lot of other forums though and I do see a decrease somewhat in activity....anyways, I am always looking for ideas to make this site more appealing and helpful. I will definitely consider the private message idea.
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

sasha

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn
    I don't know of many forums that delete their user list at all because they like the inflated look, and in all honesty we did get more people who signed up when it said we had 600+ members or however many it was we had.
    I think that a forum needs active members not just names. Personnaly, I like small forums my self because people know every body and it's different when you know people that help you or that you help to. I have big forums like teckimo.com because it's hard to keep up to everything that happens.
    The reason why I brought up the point about welcoming pm's is because I was a lurcker myself before on other forums untill I got and email from the admin stating that my account will be deleted soon if I don't post. I went and posted a problem. I was a little scared because I am a newbie and thought that people will ignore me or even worse make fun of me. Instead people we so nice that they didn't only try to help me (although the problem was very childish) they even mailed me CD's with no cost to me. After that I was hooked on forums and that made me interested in Linux too. So beleive me when I say that pm's really work. Of course, they don't work with everybody, but it does pay of in a long run.

I had no idea that the we site got hacked. I am interesed now. Tell me what happened. Who the hell in the world would want to mess up forums that are very useful and help people? I think that's pathetic and the person that did that (hope he still visits this forum so he can read this) is pathetic too. I read a book on hacking before (btw, I am not a hacker. It's not my style ) and the book said that the only way yo can become a hacker is by hacking, but it also said that you MUST NOT damage the systems you hack into and the best way to hack is to attack your own systems.

BTW, how old is this website?

Well I am definitely thinking about your idea. As far as getting hacked, I don't even remember. I was just able to scrap up enough data from the database to restore the forums. My host was of no help thus why we moved here. Also we were experiencing a lot of downtime with that host.

I think our forums are very unique in the way I run things here. There is no flaming, there is no rtfm, and there are other things where people know the lines. We have a pretty tight group if you ask me. All of the regulars know quite a bit about eachother. It is a good environment, and even if it was only us few I would continue to keep this website up for them and me. I have thought about shutting the doors a few times, but never did, much because of being talked out of it by the users. I always and will always take the feedback of the users before I do anything on GLO, because it is more their site than mine.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

sasha

Aragon, I agree with what you said about your administrating, that this forum is very unique and think that as long as there are couple of members that constantly post you shouldn't "close the doors". I think you are a great administrator

BTW... Do you have a "mark all forums read" button? I can't find one.

Well thank you for the compliment. I guess it looked like i was fishing for one, but honestly I wasn't, lol.

Yes we do have one, it is on the blue line right below the Open BSD forums. It is Mark All Messages as Read.

BTW I forgot to answer your previous question, this website is going on 3 years old.

Aragorn

sasha

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn
    Yes we do have one, it is on the blue line right below the Open BSD forums. It is Mark All Messages as Read.

Aragorn
    Found it
    Thanks