Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Aughhhhhhh

Thread: Aughhhhhhh

Aughhhhhhh

Ok I am doing tech support for dell. I just had a guy call in who wanted(a.ka. demanded) that I send him a new system because he doesn't get video. Now on this particular system he had ordered an expansion video card, which disables the onboard video. To avoid customers plugging into the onboard video we put a metal plate across the onboard video and screw it in. This customer had unscrewed the plate and connected to it when in the instructions of the system it tells them explicitly not to do this. He of course couldn't get video. Of course he hadn't told me he did this and I gave him too much credit in thinking that he wouldn't have gone through all that trouble. Well I had him open up the system and was going to reseat the video card. Well he couldn't find that there was just some "doohickey" that has an svideo port and a wierd looking white connector(aka his video card). He said "I have some adapter that goes to my monitor that plugs into that, but I don't think that is going to work". "Please try sir". "Wow, that worked. What an archaic way to do things, very ineffecient". "Sorry you feel that way sir, have a good day, thank you for calling Dell". The icing on the cake is that he was the IT supervisor for this company. Augh, why can't I get a job in IT.......unbelievable

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

dox

Re:Aughhhhhhh

so stupid people get da good jobs rofl ???

I never realized just how many idiot people there are in IT. I have had so many techs tell me they didn't know which cable was the ide cable.......omfg

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

This kinda goes back to the old saying, it's not what you know, but who you know.

I guess this explains why the IT field still pushes Win32 greatly when they could already be using Linux. It's just to hard for them, Ha Ha Ha.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

I don't want a "Tech" job. I want a "Unix Sysadmin" job ;D

I've been doing "Tech" jobs for a while (since before I started college) and there are too many "Techs" out there who think that everything runs windows... thus an MCSE is needed in order to be a "Tech." Then they wonder how I got the "Tech" job when I'm most definitely NOT a windows person, and am NOT MCSE certified. I just ignore them and point out the little things they missed while going through the normal routine of "Does rebooting the computer fix it? No. Does looking in the Hardware Profile show any yellow or red tags? No. Ok, reinstall windows" Idiots. I often have to point out things like "Did you check the power supply? Is the fan running on the power supply? It's probably a BAD power supply if it's not..."

They ignored me the first time I had to point that out... reinstalled windows... lost a lot of information on that machine that the customer was angry about losing... and a few days later the machine was back, dead as a doornail... with a DEAD Powersupply.

I'm tired of working with a bunch of windows pampered idiots. I want to work with people who have to use their brains on a regular basis... like UNIX ADMINS!

Amen brother

Aragorn

lol

"Does rebooting the computer fix it? No. Does looking in the Hardware Profile show any yellow or red tags? No. Ok, reinstall windows" Idiots.
    LOL what else is there! Drivers and maybe a service pack prolly. And thats windows in a nutshell

I'm tired of working with a bunch of windows pampered idiots.
    lol

Im a tech, all day i spend looking at idiot windows problems, if it wasnt for idiot windows users i wouldnt have a job mahahahahaha!

Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Quote Originally Posted by gaxprels
    I've been doing "Tech" jobs for a while (since before I started college) and there are too many "Techs" out there who think that everything runs windows... thus an MCSE is needed in order to be a "Tech." Then they wonder how I got the "Tech" job when I'm most definitely NOT a windows person, and am NOT MCSE certified. I just ignore them and point out the little things they missed while going through the normal routine of "Does rebooting the computer fix it? No. Does looking in the Hardware Profile show any yellow or red tags? No. Ok, reinstall windows" Idiots. I often have to point out things like "Did you check the power supply? Is the fan running on the power supply? It's probably a BAD power supply if it's not..."

They ignored me the first time I had to point that out... reinstalled windows... lost a lot of information on that machine that the customer was angry about losing... and a few days later the machine was back, dead as a doornail... with a DEAD Powersupply.
    Actually I have to say something about this though to their credit. Rebooting and reinstalling windows is a valid step, because if you have ever tried walking someone through just opening a fugging case over the phone that is so dumb they need to be taken out back and shot, just have them reboot the computer and call back, lol.

I am actually lucky that we can have techs go out there and install things, because if I had to walk someone through installing a motherboard, I'd shoot myself. I am lucky even there too because we are completely screwless systems, but I'd still shoot myself, it would be impossible.

Aragorn

Yes, this would be true if it were "over the phone." The thing is... these boxes are brought into the shop to be worked on. No excuse in this case