Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Innovation Loses If Open Source Wins

Thread: Innovation Loses If Open Source Wins

Hybrid View

Innovation Loses If Open Source Wins

I Found this to be an extremely interesting article. It really does raise a lot of questions as to what would happen if open source prevails....What do you guys think it would be like if open source wins.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Re:Innovation Loses If Open Source Wins

I think the article had some interesting points, but a lot of them were ignorant. IBM issued the subpeona's in order to investigate whether those companies are funding SCO's suit and claims. I don't think companies would develop any more "closed source" hardware if microsoft went away than they currently do. There is a variety of hardware available and always will be. Certain hardware is designed with certain tasks in mind. Other hardware is designed to be cost effective more than focusing on one thing. And if everyone goes Open Source on the software side, then the companies will be more likely to participate in that. If Open Source won the fight, then they'd have to be more willing to work with Open Source projects in order to survive, because it would be obvious that that's where the market lies. Thus, his theories are fine and dandy, but they don't hold a lot of water in my book.

I too think that a lot of it is far fetched, but it does raise some good points as well. I can seriously see going abroad especially to India as a development area for developers and companies, they are already doing it. Hardware, no, I think not. It would be useless in a world where open source is king those closed source drivers would be cracked immediately. They won't find it financially productive do closed source. Only thing that I worry about is the profit potential, it will be a world of selling support not products. Which that will be bad. GPL is a great licensing model, but it does have its flaws as well. We still need a model where companies can still sell software products and not always have it to where it can reproduced indefinitely. Don't know I"ll have to think about that....hmmm...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

I don't see a link to the article above....

It's on the front page (I missed it too, because I come straight to the forums)

I think this guy is just blowing smoke in my opinion. I don't see what Open Source software has to do with companies moving to third world countries.

They do that now to avoid the cost of paying Americans minimum wage. I think the reason for this is because our country has become almost nothing, but large companies that deal in large bucks. Mom, and Pop stores that would hire Americans to run their shop are out of buiness because they can't compete with company A down the street.

I mean if you think about it right now, if we lost our big companies, America would be screwed for a while there, because they are what provide everything. Entertainment, Food, Clothes, etc.. etc...

The way I see it, the reason we go over seas is because these large companies have found a way to cheat the money pool by getting cheaper guys. They/We did it to ourselfs. Mom, and Pop wouldn't do that because their store is here in America, and not in China, or India.

This is a little different in Software Engineering though, when all you need is an internet connection to get connected, but that's the price you pay for technology.

What I'm saying is we do it to ourselfs by putting to much money into one thing. *ahem* Sports *ahem* Mircrosoft. I'm through now.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny