Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora

Fedora

I decided to just goto fedora. I wanted to give it a shot and it seemed to have the support already. So it worked and Fedora actually is pretty nice. I just wish it wasn't RPM based :'(

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Re:Fedora

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn
    I just wish it wasn't RPM based :'(
    wtf... ??? ??? : : :-\ :-\ :-\
    How can you say that?
    considering its a product sponsored by redhat, that grew out of RHL, hosted by them and based loosly around rawhide (for now), im not a bit suprised that its RPM based...
    maybe im feeding the trolls here a bit, but thats the stupidest thing ive heard you say. ever..

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!
    Of course he wishes it wasn't rpm based. It's a decent RH spinoff so it's forced to use such a crummy package system.

What he's missing is that it includes up2date (I assume anyway) which makes the rpm problems virtually go away as up2date creates a wrapper around that (it grabs / installs / upgrades FOR you so you don't HAVE to learn the archaic switches necessary to determine what prereqs it has, etc...)

[me=gaxprels]slinks off into the corner to watch the trolls feed[/me]

i agree, but Aragorn, why not just use gentoo?
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

gaxprels:
    why not use apt4rpm then? or yum.
    the main redhat servers now have support for both of them, its really cool.
    RPM isn't really a crummy packaging system, it just as good as deb/dpkg, debian just has better dependency resolving in the creation of the packages. The concept is fine, the implementation by everyone else is what sortta screws it up ;-)
    And i wouldn't use up2date anyway, go straight for apt/yum
    even then, i still prefer to download the rpms (source ones alot of the time) and build them/install them myself.

Omoshiroi:
    it might be because the main gentoo developer is a bit of an asshole?
    </flame>

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    I just wish it wasn't RPM based :'(
    wtf... ??? ??? : : :-\ :-\ :-\
    How can you say that?
    considering its a product sponsored by redhat, that grew out of RHL, hosted by them and based loosly around rawhide (for now), im not a bit suprised that its RPM based...
    maybe im feeding the trolls here a bit, but thats the stupidest thing ive heard you say. ever..

Alastair
    I knew it was RPM based from the start, it doesn't mean I wish it wasn't RPM based. I just seriously dislike RPM. Any distro that is RPM based I wish was apt based. End of story. Not stupid just hate to have to go to something RPM based is simply what I was saying young one.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    gaxprels:
    why not use apt4rpm then? or yum.
    the main redhat servers now have support for both of them, its really cool.
    RPM isn't really a crummy packaging system, it just as good as deb/dpkg, debian just has better dependency resolving in the creation of the packages. The concept is fine, the implementation by everyone else is what sortta screws it up ;-)
    I don't use Debian. I also avoid RedHat when I can. I don't like RPM BECAUSE people don't implement their RPM's in a manner that makes sense Dependancies are a pain when dealing with RPM's.

And i wouldn't use up2date anyway, go straight for apt/yum
    even then, i still prefer to download the rpms (source ones alot of the time) and build them/install them myself.
    Yes... I do the same thing except I grab a tarball, not an RPM... what's the point of grabbing an RPM of the source just to install via "./configure && make && make install"?

I know, I know... some open source projects are blind to the fact that not everyone uses RPM's to install their stuff, so they package EVERYTHING in RPM's rather than putting at least the source into a tarball... but those are rare projects.

Any distro that is RPM based I wish was apt based.
    interesting how my fedora install is apt based then... :P

Not stupid just hate to have to go to something RPM based is simply what I was saying young one.
    well, if you knew it was rpm based, and hate rpms, why did you look at it? old one... ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by gaxprels
    I don't use Debian. I also avoid RedHat when I can. I don't like RPM BECAUSE people don't implement their RPM's in a manner that makes sense Dependancies are a pain when dealing with RPM's.
    well, that makes 2 of us then

Yes... I do the same thing except I grab a tarball, not an RPM... what's the point of grabbing an RPM of the source just to install via "./configure && make && make install"?
    Some rpms (especially redhats kernel and X ones) have alot of patches that are added to them before they are built
    most of the time this is good
    By downloading a srpm, you can get it to apply the patches, and build it, then package it nicely so you can uninstall it if you need to (with rpm -e)

or you could just use gentoo and have emerge make all sorts of cool stuff for you, _Dialup_