Thread: Linux Freeze Up Probs with RedHat9

kkathman

Linux Freeze Up Probs with RedHat9

Greetings Colleagues,

I am looking for some advice on a problem I continue to have on my new Linux system. My computer is an AMD-based (XP1800) system with an MSI K7T266A Pro 2 mobo. It has 512 MB memory, two hard drives, a CD-RW, a CD-Rom, Floppy, Audgy Platinum, ATI Rage Fury 128 Vid card, and an Ethernet NIC.

I have Windows XP Pro (yes NTFS) on the first hard drive which is 40gb. I wanted to install Linux on the second HDD (100GB) in a 20-30gb section, and use the rest for Windows FAT to exchange files. I used Disk Druid to partition the linux partitions. I later used Windows to partition the remaining space, but the problem occured way before I partitioned that FAT space.

I installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 (pro) and all seemed well. I chose to boot from a floppy, since there is a significant issue with GRUB/LILO writing to the MBR of an NTFS system. When I booted, everything seemed to work just fine, all services came up, internet, printer, EVERYTHING worked! Booted right into GUI and was able to play CDs in XMMS and all that.

Then..BOOM..the whole system after a random period of time freezes. Lights on the keyboard blink, mouse freezes..but like...if I was playing a CD on XMMS it went right on like nothing had happened.

This happened a few times and was unpredictable as to when it would happen. I happened to be at a command prompt one evening when it happened and I saw the error... Kernel panic.. Aiieeee, killing interrupt handler....In interrupt handler not synching. When I reboot immediately after one of these freezes, the reboot stops and stalls at initializing the USB-ohci. If I power the unit ALL the way down, then restart, it goes to a complete boot again with no problems.

Things I have tried:
    BIOS settings - removed shadow video ram and onboard rom
    At boot: noapic ide=nodma nousb
    BIOS disabled all USB
    Reinstalled

None of these things have worked.

Does anyone have any kind of idea on what I can do to make it work, or find out what to tweak to get it to work? Most of everything I read about the kernal panics...happen at boot, and mine boots fine, just something happens that causes it to blitz out. This mobo is a RAID board, but I do not have that installed (you cant disable in in BIOS on this board). I dont want to do TOO much because I am running a windows install on the other drive.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kork

Re:Linux Freeze Up Probs with RedHat9

This is a long shot, and may not work at all, but...

Go back into your BIOS and look for a setting called "Legacy USB Support"

Disable this if it's enabled, or enable it if it's disabled. I had to disable mine on my laptop to get Lnx-BBC to boot with keyboard access (I mention this because it seems to be related to USB going by the errors you've posted.)

If this is a USB error, then perhaps it's because you're using the wrong USB module? KT266 is a VIA chipset which should use the UHCI module. If that's the case, then you'll have to recompile you're kernel to fix it. Also when you recompile if you're mobo has USB 2.0 then add EHCI as well.

Just one question. Are you using a USB keyboard, and mouse? What kind if any?
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

kkathman

Thanks for the replies guyz.

Red Hat, during the installtion does seem to pick up BOTH USB modules ohci and ehci. My MOBO is the K7T266A Pro 2 by MSI which has USB 2.0 support.

I have a Logitech track ball plugged into the PS/2 plug, and the keyboard is plugged as a PS/2 also.

In Windows, the only USB device I have is a hookup to my power backup unit. Its not necessary.

I have tried disabling all USB support in the BIOS and even to the point of literally unplugging the ports (of course that doesnt do anything on the board. LOL.

I have never recompiled the kernel for anything. Its the standard one that comes with RH9 professional. By the way, Red Hat support is of NO HELP AT ALL...please DONT buy Red Hat and expect any support

So are you telling me that I need to recompile my kernel if I use a VIA chipset? I never did. If so, I honestly wouldnt even know where to begin.

Kork

Disable PNP in your bios and try that first.

Next try this

boot commands : pci=noacpi apm=off

I believe this should fix your problem, but you never know.

If it doesn't please give me the model and version number of your bios, you may need to flash your bios to a newer version.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

I'm thinking that since you aren't even using the USB ports, then that probably rules USB out. That kernel panic doesn't give me a whole lot of information, so if I were me, I'd just re-compile my kernel. I can't really give you advice on how to do this because it's so much information, it would take a long time for me to explain everything.

The best thing is to simply goto http://www.tldp.org/ and look up a kernel compile howto. It is probably going to be limited, but it will get you started. This is how I learned to compile my kernel, that and alot of trial & error.

This is the best information I can offer in this area, as I've never experienced an error of such before. Also try Aragorn sugestions, and see what you come up with. BTW in the kernel compile you can actually turn off ACPI or APM if you think that's the problem.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny