Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Apache 2 and scripts

Thread: Apache 2 and scripts

Apache 2 and scripts

I was just wondering... I am running a webserver with Apache 2, and am looking for a little something more powerful than the standard Apache log file. I was wondering if there is a script that can be run, that will tell me what files someone is downloading, the file size (to see if they made it through the entire download) and such. Of course the regular log shows the user that logged on (it is a password protected page) and shows what files they access, but not the size of the download. I am curious... Thanks.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Re:Apache 2 and scripts

well... if you know the size of the file they actually tried to download you can make a guess... it has to be less than or equal to that file size. However, I don't think there's any way to know how much of the file they grabbed using standard web (http) tools. You might be able to tell using ftp, but I'm not certain about that as I don't run ftp services (prefering ssh with sftp) but it's something you might consider. If you link to it using ftp:// in the url then your ftp server will handle the files they grab and it might have more information about how much of the file they actually received. Hope this helps

yeah, i am just curious. i am using a cable connection, and since the upload speed is limited to 256kbs (30kBs) it isn't nearly as fast as the download speed. I am just wondering if alot of folks get sick of the download speed they are getting, and are aborting the downloads.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Is there any way possible to get around the 30kB/s upload limit with a cable setup? That is the only real drawback to having a home based webserver. I don't get much traffic, as only 3 or 4 people know the IP, but it is a drag if they want to download a large file (i.e. Linux ISOs, or other 600Mb files), it will take a theoretical 5 hours at 30kB/s.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

I'm not aware of any way to change your upload limit. Usually, the limit is either a cap placed on your account by your ISP, or it's a cap placed on your service by the shear number of other users... Cable and DSL tend to have better speeds when there aren't as many users eating the bandwidth (especially when there aren't a lot of P2P users on the same slice of the bandwidth as you ) I haven't had anyone complain about the speed of my server, but I also haven't made any large files available to download. I guess I could stick a linux ISO on my server, and have someone try to grab it and tell me what my upload limit is I'm on a cable connection, too, but there aren't a lot of users in my area, so my speeds are better than I've heard others claim from their cable accounts. I know this wasn't very helpful, but I thought it might at least shed some light on why your uploads might be slower than you like.

That is what I figured. I mean, I download things rather quickly, but of course, I guess that they put a cap on uploads just to keep people from doing what I am doing. Even if there is no other webtraffic, I imagine that my upload speeds wouldn't be much better because of the cap. Oh well... the webserver will stay where it is, and if someone wants what is on there, then they won't have too much of a problem waiting for the download. I can't even remember how many times I had to let a system run overnight to get what I wanted, back in the dial-up days...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL