Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Getting started

Thread: Getting started

Bogler

Getting started

Hi

I have little experience of creating websites.

I would like to buy my own domain and go from there. Can anyone point me to resources on how to get your own domain hooked up via an ISP?

Also, i am pretty unfamiliar with apache/php but ok generally with Linux. Are there any good resources on how apache works (i suppose i should look at the howto) and any good urls on general html design etc. Would like to start looking at Java/script.

Also, i am struggling to think of a general theme for my site. I have hobbies etc but i'm not totally devoted to any of them (apart from Linux of course). I suppose i'll just stick some pictures of my wife/kid up there to get going. Any suggestions or similar experiences welcome.

Regards

Bogler

Re:Getting started

Thats why i don't have a site anymore - i can't think of anything to put on it for the effort it will take....

Domains - usually other companies are cheaper - isps are REALLY expensive.
    or just ring ur isp

i think apache.org (.com?) has good docs

hmmm, html...
    the best way is prolly look at sites and disect them

==
    its late and im tired - excuse me if none of this makes sense

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

flandercan

if you have a decent connection to the net host your own site, its much more fun than paying someone else to host it plus you get to play with a couple of different bits of Linux like LRP Linux router project etc --

hey not sure about html its pretty boring, show a pic here have a hyperlink there, have a crack at some perl......

what about an apache how to site, just document what you learn so that others can benefit just a thought and if you do send me the link i havent played with apache yet:-)

Just geting started is easy

1. Register a domain name
    2. Talk to your isp about you hosting a web service so they get the upload/download speed, and pricing correct.
    3. Install Apache (you prolly already did) and fire it up
    4. apache's html files are usually in /var/www/html, the one called index.html is the first page to be seen.
    5. apache.conf is where it all happens.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

omoshiroi desu yo, i am thinking about hosting a web service for myself, just so i can link pictures and stuff lol, so i can have a nice little slackware icon instead of a tux one, cuz tux is more general, the slackware one i took and edited off the slackware site is much more, well tells that i use slackware
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Also, i am struggling to think of a general theme for my site.
    BEER!
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

The way you think about BEER makes me wonder if you're australian.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNet
    The way you think about BEER makes me wonder if you're australian.
    Or German....

But seriously... the idea of documenting how you set up Apache and what new html tricks you learned is a good enough "theme" if all you are wanting to do is learn how to do it

If you need help with either, let me know and I'll try to find the time. I've been really busy lately because we just got put in our programming teams for the "Huff -n- Puff" project... a compression and a decompression program for the huffman algorithm