Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Clueless...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clueless...

Clueless...

Well, I must say that I am pretty clueless at this point... I did manage to get through the install process after a few minor hiccups (YEAH ME!!). Unfortunately, now I am pretty clueless...

1) I installed Fluxbox as the default wm. I wanted something light (it looks light, so I am assuming it is...) and still looked decent. How can I change what wm I want to use?
    2) When I startx into Fluxbox after logging in, it seems that there are not very many applications. Are apps window manager specific? I was wanting to add Opera and OpenOffice, but wasn't sure if they would work.
    3) Is there a way to get a folder type view in Flux? (i.e. sort of like Nautilus or Konqueror?)
    4) If I can add these applications, how would I go about adding them to the Flux apps menu?

Sorry for the barage, but I am inthe middle of looking these things up now, just not having much luck finding squat... Thanks!
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Re:Clueless...

Sorry, one more thing... I installed Flux as default, but ever since I rebooted the machine, when I type startx, I get kicked to KDE. WTF?!?
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Boy... when it rains, it pours... I can't even find the home directory of one of my users... I logged in as root, created user ron, set ron's password. I can log in as ron but can't find a home directory. When I log in as root, I can't even find a directory named ron. Also, when I log in as ron, it spits me into the root directory (/) as if that is my home. Oh yeah, this is going to be interesting...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

that doesn't sound normal lol...

What command did you use to create "Ron"?

If you used "useradd" you'll have to manually create the home directory if I recall correctly... adduser will be interactive, and will give you the option to give the default home directory for the user you are creating.

As for fluxbox, I haven't used it, so don't know what to tell you. You can change the default wm by running xwmconfig. It will give you a menu of the window managers on your system it knows about... just select the one you want for default from there and it'll change the right files for you.

yes you can run konq in fluxbox, modding the menu is quite easy, create a .fluxbox dir in your user directory and fluxbox will create a bunch of files there for you, edit the menu file in that directory to get started, its not too difficult, but if you need more help you can post more. what gaxprels said will work, but it seems you want to know how to actually do stuff in text, so what you want to do is goto /etc/X11/xinitrc/ i believe thats the directory i could be wrong, then remove xinitrc and do a ln -s to the window manager you want to be the default, it should be linked to xinitrc. also if you want it to be user specific you can create a .xinitrc and then type the command for where you want your window manager to be say /etc/X11/xinitrc/xinitrc.kde and it will be user specific.

well i believe that answers your questions, if you need more info give a shout.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Okay, I created the account with useradd. That is why... No problem. Thanks for the help guys. Fluxbox is taken care of, now all I need is to install some programs. Just out of curiousity, are apps window manager specific? I know they might not be, but I was wondering why some apps are supported through kde and others through gnome. That is the only reason I figured that they were wm specific. I am just trying to figure out if I can use open office and opera, along with cadsoft eagle...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Most apps are not WM specific... some require certain libraries that the WM or Desktop Manger rely on... for instance...

If the app relies on Qt... it's probably gonna show up as a KDE app.
    If the app relies on GTK+... it's probably gonna show up as a GNOME app.

If both libraries are installed, those apps will work (sometimes with a little tweaking) under the other WM's and Desktop Managers.

i might not have been quite clear, but i said above that they were not WM specific by meantioning knoqueror. oh well. if they need a specific library then it may take a few seconds to load the program as it needs to load the library also. thats all.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

You gave a specific app. He didn't catch that it was a non issue for all apps from your example. I just tried to reword it so he might understand better what he asked for On a side note, some apps that are KDE apps are just not friendly with other WM's... I don't remember which one it was, but there was a KDE app i tried to set up to run on Gnome about 4 months ago, and it took me a while to convince it to run under anything other than KDE. After all that work, i found something better, and trashed my work. There will be some apps you may come across that are like that, but most are quite happy as long as the appropriate libs are installed.

Ah-HA! I get it. I was just looking at the Fluxbox menu, thinking, "I sure hope I can run more programs than this, or I may need to put up with the speed hit of using KDE. Many thanks to the both of you for clarifying for me
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL