Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo install

Gentoo install

i am currently in the middle of my gentoo install from stage three, but now that i understand how linux works i understand what i am doing in the install and it is far better, i might switch over to gentoo because i am impressed with how it works, i love the portage, last time i dont think i had my make.conf file edited properly, and i was stupid lol. now it seems very good. ill use it some more and tell you what i think of it more, because i am still, only in the installation.
    oh i am loving portage now that i look through it, and when i say love, i mean love. i think this might be the end of my warshipping slackware because OMG this is heaven and its not even done installing yet , i just want to get down to things and start installing like crazy. , i totally love that it downloads then does a source install for you, i seriously think that this with an easier installer and frontend to emerge could easily beat out windows for ease of install.
    rc-update add msyslog default
    it got an error, so i did a whereis metalog and deleated everything that had to do with metalog, after than rc-update add msyslog default had no errors but when i bootup i get a error that has something to do with metalog, the same error that i got when i did the rc-update add msyslog default.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Re:Gentoo install

Well Done, are you still having teh .MAKEDEV issue? I do really like the no hassle source installs. Also updating your entire system is very easy as well, which is nice. Good luck

yes i agree, i just need to get hardware working properly lol. like you said, the ./MAKEDEV thing. and no its not working yet but i havent had time to look too much things up, i did read through the gentoo stuff though, and it didnt help at all, may post at the gentoo forums about it, also, when i goto start my ftp server, proftpd, it says it cant find a valid network adress or something like that lol, basically i think the version that gentoo has changed since the one that slack has.

im stupid lol, i wasnt loading the ide-scsi module so nothing was working.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Well, my last gentoo install went ok, but i didn't like it too much, so i reinstalled and things seem to be going better. Just waiting on KDE to finish, then i will configure grub and go!

welp, got kde emerged, x as well, but i can't seem to start kde. the weird thing is that the KSMserver crashes, i might be better off seeing if reemerging will help. time will tell..

BTW, has anyone used genkernel when building gentoo?

is that a program or specific gentoo sources?
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

i did not use genkernel, i think i am going to totally clear out my 120 when my upgrade is in, which should be soon, ill burn the anime off and then ill do alot of changes, ALOT of changes , i am probably going to run gentoo or maybe a LFS on it, gentoo sounds more logical, ill download the AMD gentoo now and then do that, it sounds good.

genkernel is something that comes with the liveCD. It takes all the settings that were used to boot hte livecd on your system and uses them to configure your kernel. The great thing is that you can tell it to do this and then you can configure what it wants to do. I always leave stuff out when i compile a kernel, so it was really helpful t ohave genkernel setup what my system needs, then add and remove stuff as i saw fit. Also, it executes all the commands to compile a kernel, and relinks /usr/src/linux to the appropriate place and in general, is a great way to do things. Highly recommended, especially for those who have never compiled before and want to break the ice.

I prefer to use a vanilla kernel. I don't like all these patches I didn't put their myself. I guess it's old Slackware habbits.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny