Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 2.4 Released

Gnome 2.4 Released

The GNOME 2.4 Desktop & Developer Platform is the latest release of the popular, multi-platform free desktop environment. GNOME 2.4 includes 11 new applications and more than 100 user-requested enhancements. You can use a script like Garnome, CVSGnome or (if on Slackware) Dropline to build. Update: Ximian releases beta of its upcoming Ximian Desktop 3 product, currently losely based on Gnome 2.4, but targeting 2.6 for its final release.
    anyone try it yet?

Re:Gnome 2.4 Released

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What do you think :?

Good Guru

well, I hope to install it soon. I have someone grabbing the source for me. I have the list of which to build first, so I guess I could try to script it or something.

2.4 has a bunch of features that I want bad ...

There isnt so much changes, unfortunatly Autodirection (for hebrew Bi-Di), still isnt exist in GTK/Pango, altough it's were promised..
    Im using it now, quite good, lot's of imprrovments, still not like Gnome 1.4

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=eyalben link=board=6;threadid=7713;start=0#msg70579 date=1063565420]
    There isnt so much changes, unfortunatly Autodirection (for hebrew Bi-Di), still isnt exist in GTK/Pango, altough it's were promised..
    Im using it now, quite good, lot's of imprrovments, still not like Gnome 1.4
    [/quote]

Which Desktop Environment (KDE, Gnome, etc) is best for Semetic languages? I ask simply because my course of study will eventually mean that I must learn ancient Hebrew (plus, I might be dabbling with Arabic soon, too). I would like to lower my frustration level before it gets a chance to reach boiling point!

Cheers

Both GNOME and KDE have good i18n support - I would go with GNOME, since that's my personal favorite, but use what you like.

Mentor

What are some of the new features?
    CP

[quote author=CP link=board=6;threadid=7713;start=0#msg70792 date=1063867358]
    What are some of the new features?
    CP
    [/quote]

My personally favorite besides lower ressource requirements and more speed.

A frontend for xrandr so you can now set your resolution and refresh rate without restarting X, in a pleasant manner.

GNOME now also includes the Bitstream Vera fonts, a default browser (Epiphany), the gnome-panel has been rewritten to be more consistent. And all round more compatiblity with the HIG (a good thing). We also have a new PDF viewer now, since ggv never did the job correctly. The calculator has been replaced. Gnome-xBill was removed, and a few new games were added instead.

Mentor

Sounds good, I'd noticed that I could now change the resolution etc, but hadn't looked much further than that.
    CP

Mentor

Well I've upgraded to Dropline Gnome 2.4 and I'm not at all impressed. It was working fine until I had to reboot. So I rebooted and now whenever I download or copy a file into my home directory Nautilus, which isn't even running, crashes, then all of a sudden it pops up. My xmms theme was gone, my Gnome theme was gone and all my KDE menus have dissappeared. Not very happy about this.
    CP