Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

unknown hardware, is knoppix the ultimate driver software?

Thread: unknown hardware, is knoppix the ultimate driver software?

Hybrid View

unknown hardware, is knoppix the ultimate driver software?

well i was thinking, what if a computer has unknown hardware, like say onboard stuff. what would one do? then i though, well maybe one would stick knoppix in since it autoloads all the drivers needed to run the system, could you use knoppix as a tool to find out what drivers are needed and what drivers are not?

i know its in /proc for what drivers are currently loaded, or lsmod or something like that, but would that work?
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Re:unknown hardware, is knoppix the ultimate driver software?

Correction... it's SUPPOSED to autoload all the right drivers.

Knoppix on my laptop doesn't correctly identify and load the driver for my network card, nor does Knoppix networking work even after I manually load the correct driver and set up the networking.

I can use Lnx-BBC and other Live CD's just fine. I just wanted to make sure people knew that Knoppix isn't the end all uber distro people think it is :P

I'd love to get it working, but it just doesn't on my system.

I guess on a side note I should add that Knoppix DID get my sound card detected and set up correctly... whereas most of the other live cd distros did not.

Networking is more important to me than sound, though.

heh i am just saying, live cd's that auto detect are good resources for stuff like that, and first that came to mind was knoppix
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)