Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Menus closing, sound driver

Thread: Menus closing, sound driver

Cubie

Menus closing, sound driver

Well, I've had Linux for about a week now. I actually didn't have too many troubles at first, but now something very strange has come up. (I'm using KDE, just to clear that up before I begin)

Now, I used to use the File Manager quite a bit (K-Menu -> System -> More Program -> File Manager - Super User Mode) to get into my Windows drive. However, a couple days ago it began closing less than a second after opening it, thus making it impossible to use. It was really weird, considering I didn't change a single thing on the system. I decided I'd just re-install Slackware because one, a friend of mine walked me through it last time and I wanted to know the installation process better, and two, I hoped that problem would be fixed.

So, I reinstall Linux, doing a complete re-format of the partition and everything. As odd as it seems, the problem is still there...

The other problem is that unlike last time, KDE can't seem to find the sound driver. Upon initiation I get the following error:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

This is a stange problem since it worked just fine the last time I installed Slackware (But not as strange as the first, in my opinion). If anyone has any information on these two problems, it would be much appreciated.

Re:Menus closing, sound driver

Before when you were using superuser mode, were you logged in as the root user? This might be why your sound was working as well.

If you created a new user with this new install, instead of using the root user, then your sound shouldn't work because only root has access to /dev/dsp*. Log in as the root user to see if your sound is working.

A quick way to fix your sound so that all users can use it should be to do a: chmod ugo+rwx /dev/dsp* Must be root or su to do this. There is a better way such as employing a group called audio, and putting audio devices in this group, and allowing certain users access to this group. If you want to find out how to do this, then search this forum, I've mentioned this before, several times I think.

I'm not familiar with KDE at all, so I'm not going to be able to help with the superuser mode.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

skynet, cube is a friend of mine, i already told him to do that , i believe he has to set his soundcard in modules, ill teach him how to do that now.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

aha, sound problem fixed. i dunno about the menu thing though
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)