Thread: Figuring out what hardware I have

Figuring out what hardware I have

Hi ya'll,

I thought while I was trying my hardest to break my RH8.0 system, a.k.a getting my network card working, I thought I would see if I could get my sound card to work... I know that it is an ESS but it could be any of these models 1869/1887/1888 maybe it doesn't matter, I have no idea. But isn't there a way to probe the hardware to see what it answers back?

Thanx
    Ryan

Re:Figuring out what hardware I have

Try using sndconfig. I had to run it at run level 3 before it would work properly, but it detected and config'd my ensoniq. Praise be to PB.

10ded

Well OK I got the test sound to work in sndconfig, but it turns out I don't have an audio player on this system > Isn't there a way to send a raw wav file to the sound device in /dev? Just a thought, I'm off to see about getting a TINY audio player for the laptop. Praise be to PB and to 10Ded

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=3;threadid=7386;start=0#msg67987 date=1058208287]
    Well OK I got the test sound to work in sndconfig, but it turns out I don't have an audio player on this system > Isn't there a way to send a raw wav file to the sound device in /dev? Just a thought, I'm off to see about getting a TINY audio player for the laptop. Praise be to PB and to 10Ded
    [/quote]
    I believe what you are talking about is:

cat filename.wav > /dev/dsp

[quote author=pwrhouse link=board=3;threadid=7386;start=#msg67988 date=1058208950]
    I believe what you are talking about is:

cat filename.wav > /dev/dsp
    [/quote]

That was it thanx!!!

No problem. Glad to help.

Hi,

lspci Will give you information about your hardware. Then, you can look up the codes it gives on the internet, to figure out what driver to use for it.

cat /proc/pci will give you even more detailed information.

What do you mean you dont have an audio player? Are you trying to play cd's or the audio comes out of the speaker in the computer? Im not quite sure I understand.

10ded

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=7386;start=0#msg67996 date=1058216008]
    Hi,

lspci Will give you information about your hardware. Then, you can look up the codes it gives on the internet, to figure out what driver to use for it.

cat /proc/pci will give you even more detailed information.
    [/quote]

AWESOME Thank-you so much that is what I was looking for in the broader sence of this issue.

[quote author=10Dedfish link=board=3;threadid=7386;start=0#msg68028 date=1058272587]
    What do you mean you dont have an audio player? Are you trying to play cd's or the audio comes out of the speaker in the computer? Im not quite sure I understand.

10ded
    [/quote]

Sorry about that, I just wanted to test to see if my new found sound card configuration was working to play out of the laptop speakers. So I searched for some WAV files found a few but when I went to play them in a player there wasn't one. But I went to the sound preferences in Gnome and browsed to where the WAV files were and tested a couple of them out! They worked! Yeah!!