Thread: linux newb needs help pls

quigley0

linux newb needs help pls

I am very new to linux. I have installed red hat 9 (dual boot with winXP using system commander) and I really like it. I am having a few issues and would like some help. First, I can't get online. But that issue is being tackled by someone in the networking forum. Second, I can't get my soundcard to be recognized. It works fine in windows. Oh, I can also get online fine in windows too. The last things is people keep telling me to log in as superuser, but I looked through my redhat index for superuser, and I am not sure how to do that....

Thanks again....

Re:linux newb needs help pls

I can't get my soundcard to be recognized
    I need all the information you can tell me about your sound card. Is it brand new? Are you using KDE or GNOME, if KDE, Does an error message pop up asking you to configure ARTS?

The last things is people keep telling me to log in as superuser, but I looked through my redhat index for superuser, and I am not sure how to do that....
    When you log on as a user to your system, you can only use the applications and functions that you have permission to use, not to mention that you can't change/configure anything about the system, hence, a large reason why Linux is touted as being so secure. If you log on as root, you now have entire control of linux. you have no restrictions, for better of worse. To do this, you can either, upon logging in, use the user name 'root', and the root passwd, or, once logged in, enter the console and type 'su' (hit enter) for superuser, and then type the root password it. This will extend your rights as a user to the rights of the root operator. One caveat, just be careful when operating as root. Do not connect to the internet in anyway, at least until you know more on the subject. This is the easiest way for you to avoid further headaches.

Goodluck,

Babbing

quigley0

I am using Gnome. My sound card is aureal 8830 (according to windows device manager). Linux doesn't see this at all.

Also, I am having some issues with my video card. I thought all was well until I tried to run a game that came with redhat9. TuxRacer runs at about 1 FPS. My card is a Geforce 4 MX 420. Another 3d game that comes with redhat 9 gets about the same frame rate.

I am online now thanks to Skynet and Friskydrifter. I am also able to log in as root/su.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

For the Gforce - go to the vnidia sit and down load the Linux driver - read all the instructions and viola! all should be good
    For the soundcard?? dunno never had a soundcard problem and havent tackled sound before. Got a Soundblaster Live! - heh nothing doesnt support it
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

friskydrifter, you must be drinking that beer when you're typing this stuff ;D

quigley0, I'll try to help you with the soundcard when I get back from work today.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

quigley0,

Bad news on the sound card. The Aureal 8830 is a Aureal Vortex 2 if I'm not mistaken, which means that the linux support for it is about 10%.

Check out this link to get better information on why this is: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper...5.html#8151451

Also, this is the website for the current development of the Aureal linux drivers. http://aureal.sourceforge.net

With any luck, those drivers might work for you.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

friskydrifter, you must be drinking that beer when you're typing this stuff
    Um yea, ill try keep the dribble to a minimum next time
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

quigley0

i just downloaded the nvidia drivers. I'll try to work this problem first. Then move on to the sound card. If I have to get a new sound card, then so be it. This one wasn't the greatest anyway. Even in windows some things sounded a little "off".

Actually, it is probably time for a new computer all together. my PIII 600 isn't exactly pushing the envelope anymore