Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

backup backup backup

Thread: backup backup backup

doggiebone

backup backup backup

Hello all

I'm looking to backup my linux partittion to cdrom does partition image do this? I know drive images (windows) supports ext2 but not ext3 as I found out when backingup linux some months ago.

thanks

Re:backup backup backup

hmmmm
    ext3 *is* ext2 as far as windows would be concerned... it just got a journaling subsystem put ontop of it....
    i guess you could make a backup, then write it to cd, im not sure if that program could write directly to cd...
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

doggiebone

hi Alastair

When I used drive image to make a backup to cd. i tried to restore the image but it did not work. I've even tried it with norton ghost no joy. However powerquest I think say that their new drive image supports EXT3. As you say its just journaling that has changed I will give it another ago.

thanks.

are you willing to make an investment in grive imaging software?
    linux has it built in and you can then compress the image and write it to cd.

doggiebone

No way am I paying for it. i got it for free ;D, so I thought I'd give it ago. If I make an image to need to do it another partition correct, as you can't write to the current partition?

thats right.
    are you reading from the partition that you are booted into? that might be a bad idea too. if you have to, change to init 1 (as root in a console type 'init 1')

doggiebone

thx for the tip.