Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Keyboard Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Problem

redrum

Keyboard Problem

I have a copy of Thiz Linux 6.0 that came with my motherboard. I installed it and went to login and the keyboard was dead, so i rebooted and everytime the GUI comes up the keyboard goes dead and the mouse still works. During setup I selected the 101 key setup because that is what I have. Any ideas???

Re:Keyboard Problem

Is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard?
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

redrum

The keyboard is ps/2 however i do have a Logitech cordless usb mouse that works fine.

Could you post the keyboard device section of your X config file? maybe there is something that that could help. also, maybe try a keyboard with a different number of keys, maybe that would help

redrum

I'm really new at this and don't know what the X config file is and I don't know how to run Linux in text mode. I have tried different keyboards and they don't work either.

Sorry, i was in a rush this morning ;D . Look at /etc/X11/XF86Config. open that file with pico or nano or your favorite text editor, and look for a section that is similiar to this:

Section "InputDevice"
    #Option"AutoRepeat""500 5"
    # when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
    # following line
    #Option"Protocol""Xqueue"
    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
    #Option"Xleds""1 2 3"
    # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
    #Option"XkbDisable"
    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    #Option"XkbModel""pc102"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
    #Option"XkbModel""microsoft"
    #
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    #Option"XkbLayout""de"
    # or:
    #Option"XkbLayout""de"
    #Option"XkbVariant""nodeadkeys"
    #
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    #Option"XkbOptions""ctrl:swapcaps"
    #Option"XkbOptions"""
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"#Option"XkbVariant"""
    EndSection

That is the working section that i have in Redhat. What i was asking about the other keyboards is, Have you tried adjusting the number of keys that you tell your configurator you have? Sorry that i was unclear before. anyways, lets find that section i have shown above, and work from there

redrum

I have tried adjusting the number of keys. About the file, I can't get to it because when the computer comes up to the GUI, I can't get logged in because the keyboard dies at that point, however i did manage to notice an error message while I was reinstalling.

I don't have the exact text, but it said something like it had bad drivers or they were not installed right.

I have only had linux now for like 3 days so I don't know how to navigate in text mode( when it does manage to work ) and the GUI doesn't work otherwise this would be easy.

You should probably try a generic 104 keyboard as the type. About navigating in the CLI (Command Line Interface).

ls = listing of files
    (use ls --help to get a listing of options you can use with ls)

cd dirname (This will put you into the directory dirname)
    cd .. (This will back you out of your current directory)

mv file /dir/dir/something/ (This will move the file named file into the directory /dir/dir/something/)

mv file newname (This will rename file into newname)

These are some basic CLI commands that you should know.

To view a file in CLI do this: less filename

Now you can look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

pst, SkyNet:
    his keyboard doesn't work.....
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

redrum

O.K. I want to clear a few things up and add some information. The keyboard works in text mode, but not in the GUI, also I removed Linux and installed my "Pirated" copy of Windows XP Pro because then I can get some information that I might need. I am reinstalling linux now that I have some new information on how to run it and how to get the information you people need to help me.

Thanks for all the help ;D