Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

ALSA, kernel 2.4.20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALSA, kernel 2.4.20

teknik0s

ALSA, kernel 2.4.20

Ok my other post got out of hand.. too big. Lets start over from scratch with what i've learned so far. I NEED sound working. its become my big thing.. i need it. im running sy-tisu motherboard intel i815 chipset, ac'97 onboard controller. ive' recompiled my kernel at least 19 times with different sound modules, basically all the same.. it doesnt work any times. well i mean about twice i had sound in KDE 3.1(my gui) but i rebooted and i get the damn ARTS server error message. But i dont want sound in JUST KDE, i want sound in quake3.. and quake3 likes to bind itself to /dev/dsp for some reason. im sure this can be changed but until the ARTS server and /dev/dsp both work together or one of them runs everything.. this isnt gonna work. i need some serious ALSA/Kernel Compile help

Error while initializing the sound driver:
    can't set requested samplingrate (requested rate 44100, got rate 16080)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

We'll.. now i have my recompiled 2.4.20 kernel with modular sound support. Now i can load (all the stuff i should need to get sound right?... WRONG)

i810_audio
    soundcore
    ac97_codec

but i still get the arts server message telling me it cant run 41khz.. it has to use 16080. so... i wanna try this alsa arch stuff. i followed the docs, got everything installed until i got to the part where it tells u to

modprobe snd-intel8x0;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss

heres the link.. im using the 810 driver even though i have a 815 chipset. nice eh? perhaps that the problem.. someone tell me.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&mo dule=intel8x0

i get the following error when i try the first command modprobe snd-intel8x0 -->>
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed

any ideas why this is doing this? do i need another kernel recompile to get sound working?

Re:ALSA, kernel 2.4.20

Quote Originally Posted by teknik0s
    modprobe snd-intel8x0;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
    I think intel8x0 means replace the x with your device,.....
    eg snd-intel815
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

hehehe, yeah, take that x outta there and lets see what happens. btw, thanks for the cleanup

also, you must check something else out. make sure that you actually have a /dev/dsp, and that it is a symlink to /dev/sound/dsp. i had similiar issues when trying to get arts setup in gentoo.

teknik0s

Yes i followed the steps and i *do* indeed have /dev/dsp and they are chmod'd a+rw or whatever they are supposed to be. i also tried the modprobe and it says "cannont locate module" and the error for modprobe snd-intel8x0 is...

root@slack:/usr/src/alsa# modprobe snd-intel8x0
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed

that ^^ :-\

dmesg output (sound related - i pulled the interesting things)

agpgart: Detected Intel i815 chipset
    Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 13:31:33 Mar 20 2003
    i810: Intel ICH2 found at IO 0xe000 and 0xdc00, IRQ 9
    Intel ICH soundcard not found or device busy

agpgart: Detected Intel i815 chipset
    Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 13:31:33 Mar 20 2003
    it says there that its an i815 chipset
    *don't* use 8x0, use 815

teknik0s

root@slack:/usr/src/alsa# modprobe snd-intel815;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
    modprobe: Can't locate module snd-intel815

i tried to rebuild alsa with

./configure --with-cards=intel810 --with-sequencer=yes
    ./configure --with-cards=intel815 --with-sequencer=yes
    ./configure --with-cards=i815 --with-sequencer=yes

and it said no module found by that name or something.. so i *DONT* have to rebuild alsa as this doesnt seem to work but i did do what u said with the i815 but it gave me that error at the top.. *going to reboot* and see what happens...

teknik0s

lsmod ->>>
    snd-intel8x0 18948 0 (unused)
    nvidia 1466240 10 (autoclean)
    snd-pcm 60256 0 [snd-intel8x0]
    snd-timer 14888 0 [snd-pcm]
    snd-mpu401-uart 3504 0 [snd-intel8x0]
    snd-rawmidi 13920 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
    snd-seq-device 4432 0 [snd-rawmidi]
    snd-ac97-codec 37120 0 [snd-intel8x0]
    snd 29796 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec]
    soundcore 3780 0 [snd]
    snd-page-alloc 5212 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]

KDE Tells me...
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device

i know it should be intel815 or intel810 but...

root@slack:/dev# insmod snd-intel810
    insmod: snd-intel810: no module by that name found
    root@slack:/dev# insmod snd-intel815
    insmod: snd-intel815: no module by that name found

Any Suggestions
    ??? ??? > ???

lsmod ->>>
    snd-intel8x0 18948 0 (unused)
    ok, maybe it is a generic module, im sorry....
    did you run ./mksnddevices? or something like that

teknik0s

./snddevices
    yes. hmm..... im going to uninstall everything and reinstall it.

1. im still getting a weird boot up message but i cant see it from dmesg.. its after that... something about audio ill write it down ...
    (ok it was insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20/whatever/whatever/sound/i810_audio.o Failed )

2. i used checkinstall to install these drivers.. not that it *should* matter but im wondering if that has anything to do?

3. it sees everything but why is snd-intel8x0 unsed ? :/

(i messed with alsamixer, and the "unsed" thing went away, but kde still gives me sound errors saying /dev/dsp cant be found or used)