Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

big apt problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: big apt problems

big apt problems

Using apt4rpm. Redhat 8 has been very unkind to me. So much to the point that I'm looking at jumping back to Gentoo. We shall see. Anyway here's what happened. I was trying to fix my browser problems by trying a buch of stuff and reinstalling mozilla. I apt-get mozilla, and half way through the install it just hung. rpm has been doing that lately, you see. Be it via synaptic, apt-get, red-carpet, or just typing rpm, sometimes it will just stop whatever it's doing and sit idle 'till the end of time. Well that happened so I had to kill apt and rpm. Now when I try to apt-get anything, I get this:

Reading Package Lists... Error!
    E: There are two or more versions of the package 'mozilla-nspr' installed in your system, which is a situation APT can't handle cleanly at the moment.

I don't want duplicate packages around on my system. Anyone know how to get rid of one of these? apt-get remove won't work.

Re:big apt problems

Hi,

I'm still quite new to Linux, but apt-get and Synaptic have worked very well for me in Red Hat 8. This is probably a very stupid question, but have you tried doing a "rpm -e mozilla" or diong a "# locate mozilla-nspr" and removing all instances of it first?

Sorry if these suggestions are too basic.

Jim

Unfortunately neither of those worked. For some stupid reason it tells me that mozilla-nspr is not installed (maybe I have the package name wrong?), and the thing I'm trying to get rid of is a database entry rather than a physical file. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Good Guru

try sudo rpm -qa | grep mozilla

that should give all mozilla entries.

Plus if you have synaptic installed -- get rid of all of the mozilla stuff and reinstall there.

schotty...you're definitely on to something here. If I can list the rpm database I can know what to rpm -e. However, rpm -qa returns nothing. It just dumps me back to the command prompt as if I'd typed echo. I took a quick look at the rpm man page, and there's no mention of -q or -a. Might I ask what these flags do?

Good Guru

q is for query
    a is for all (IIRC)

the grep is to pipe the huge list thru grep and filter for in my case mozilla.

One thing you could do is sudo rpm -qa > rpmlist.txt and then gedit that or vim or kedit or whatver fucking editor you use. That could tell you if it is even working.

to see if you gaffed, try grepping for kde or xterm or something you know is there. It may be Mozilla instead of mozilla.

That's the thing. rpm -qa returns absolutely nothing, without being piped to grep. Just sits on its ass like it usually does.

Now I love a good challenge, but not if it doesn't make sense. Redhat has put together a beautiful desktop here, but in my experience it's been flaky as hell. Galeon stopped working for no apparent reason, then mozilla, and then rpm. On top of that, I was moving my mouse to open konq (my only browser left), and it froze. Dunno what went wrong, but the entire system just froze. Ctr+Alt+Fx was unresponsive. Had to hit the button. That doesn't "just happen."

*sigh*...sorry if I'm a little exhasperated here, but I was expecting great things from RedHat. Gentoo 1.4_rc2 is halfway complete at the moment. Let's see where that takes me.

Mentor

Just a random thought that jumped into my head. Hows your hard drive? I'd give it a thorough fsck cause if you are getting bad sectors it could explain the dying programs.
    CP

Good Guru

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=6334;start=0#59791 date=1044919175]
    That's the thing. rpm -qa returns absolutely nothing, without being piped to grep. Just sits on its ass like it usually does.

Now I love a good challenge, but not if it doesn't make sense. Redhat has put together a beautiful desktop here, but in my experience it's been flaky as hell. Galeon stopped working for no apparent reason, then mozilla, and then rpm. On top of that, I was moving my mouse to open konq (my only browser left), and it froze. Dunno what went wrong, but the entire system just froze. Ctr+Alt+Fx was unresponsive. Had to hit the button. That doesn't "just happen."

*sigh*...sorry if I'm a little exhasperated here, but I was expecting great things from RedHat. Gentoo 1.4_rc2 is halfway complete at the moment. Let's see where that takes me.
    [/quote]

The more and more I talk to ya -- it sounds like a stale rpm lockfile. That is corrected by a :

sudo rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb

then the rpm -qa should yield stuff.

rm /var/lib/rpm/__db* removed three files, so all was good. Then rpm --rebuilddb did nothing. Same result as rpm -qa, and there were no __db* files replaced. I did an rpm -qa, and still it returned a blank result. An attempt to apt-get remove mozilla-nspr saw the __db* files replaced. This is sooooo strange.

CP: Good call. I checked my filesystem and all's well, I'm afraid.