Thread: Linux installed after 4th try

Salil

Linux installed after 4th try

Hello friends,
    I installed linux first and it worked completely and then crashed while doing the post install configuration. Gave a debug message and I saved it to floppy but apparently the save didn't happen. Then I tried to install it again and this time if failed while on find-util-(some verion) the find and xargs files. ONce again in the next installation it failed at the same place. 4th time I installed in text mode and it worked. However after starting it crashed when I ran a command in a terminal. Please tell me what would be the possible causes of these errors. Do I have to set the harddisk type to 'LBA' or something for the installation to work. icon_frown.gif Can someone please tell me which log files should I check to find out what is happening. Or is there some way to debug to understand what is happening. ???

Re:Linux installed after 4th try

Can someone please tell me which log files should I check to find out what is happening.
    yep, check /var/log/messages

Why do you keep reinstalling when something crashes? Try just rebooting next time, and when you get in, run on the commandline 'up2date -u'. Make sure you go to www.redhat.com to register your setup :P

Beyond that, maybe you should try doing a disk surface scan to check for bad sectors.

Let me know if this helps

Goodluck,

Babbing

Re:Linux installed after 4th try

o and another thing, you probably weren't able to save the floppy because either it isn't mounted or you don't have the proper permissions. 8)